Microsoft's next Surface event is on October 2

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by alextrela182, Sep 8, 2018.

1. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry for you Guys and Girls. I was not waiting anything since they stop the mini. So I was not disappointed. In fact I am waiting from Samsung or Asus. Please, both, give us soon a mini with optional lte for some of us !

7-8 inch, 2usbc, spen, silo, 8/512 min, m3 min

lovelaptops and dstrauss like this.
  2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Same old descanting MS charge 300 more for just 128gb storage more.
    Total hilarious
    I5/8/128 =899
    I5/8/256=1199!!!!!!!!!

Jesus Christ!!!

Good that they abounded Y series CPU from Surface Pro and lowering the price of base model 100 less than previous generation.

That’s all keep from yesterday event.

I like the black color too.

Pass and wait next year hope see REAL upgrade and heavily redesign to Surface pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Chris_Kez likes this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Hello, bored. Meet boring. You know how the quad-core Surface Pro 6's start at just $900 and smaller and the more portable dual-core Surface Gos with 8 GB RAM go for $550, right? Now, there is literally no reason to buy this awkward middle child, the boringly dual-core M3 Surface Pro 6, with its even more boring 4 GB RAM at $750. You lose buying it no matter which direction you go, paying a bit more or a bit less. I wonder if this model will even stay in circulation given how boring of a configuration it is. Despite the frugality and economy, they sealed its fate from the very beginning with that measly 4 GB RAM.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/micros...e-latest-model-silver/6298150.p?skuId=6298150

4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Actually, they still have "that" model and it is completely meaningless this time around (see my post above). The M3 is cheaper, no doubt about that, than the i5 model. But with just 4 GB RAM, you might as well buy either the Surface Go with 8 GB RAM for something smaller and more convenient or cough up the extra $150 and get the significantly faster quad-core i5 Surface Pro 6.
    ---
    Seriously, the more I read, the more poor product decisions I find with this generation. At this point, I have resigned to the fact that this was a disaster release. But I actually find it quite funny how they let so very many bad decisions slip through unnoticed. It has basically become a scavenger hunt of finding the next mistake. They really were not even trying and the difference in effort compared to last year is crystal clear. All that said, I am officially signing off now.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    alextrela182 likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Microsoft Store Website has no mention of a Core M3 Pro 6. The lowest spec config for the Pro 6 is i5/8GB/128GB.

6. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Imagine that you're a business... With a product that's selling quite well. It's still selling months and months after the initial release despite competitors moving to a faster part (Quad).

Now, yes, you do have plans for a new product but, could take the safe and easy road to keep the cash coming in. What do you do?

You darn well release the updated part/machine to keep the cash coming in.

Quad core, on a tablet, has been a dream of mine for a long time and, despite knowing that there's a quad Dell tablet out there, the dual core versions runs very hot so I'm not touching the quad. But, saying that, I'm perfectly happy with the Surface pro core i5, fanless, 4Gb version. But quad... . Plus I have zero need for TB3. None. My phone is usb c as is my Go pro 7 black. It just meant buying new cables.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It's the question that is wrong, not the answer. The real question is "Why are you in the hardware business in the first place?" and Microsoft's constant answer has been to push the platform forward by designing reference hardware. They haven't done that now for two generations of devices.

So if they want to just be another Dell, HP, Lenovo, whatever, your question and answer is correct, and we should treat them with the same level of "Meh" that the others would get - EXCEPT - the otherss are now doing much more to forward the reference designs (USB-C, Thunderbolt 3, MX150 and AMD GPU solutions, new form factors, etc). This just looks like Microsoft playing out the clock until they tire of having a hardware division, just like they tired of prior hardware operations.

10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This is a good observation!

It's often that the founding spark of an idea can be powerful enough to change the world, but then people lose energy, lose sight, get promoted.., and employees settle into desks which were at one point set up as almost temporary positions to facilitate that 'crazy' new idea. -Now that the crazy idea has found legs, the support crew, being human with human needs, finds themselves less interested in being young and crazy and more interested in making the next mortgage payment and financing junior's dental work. That's fair, but it has certain results which must be expected.

One of the typical patterns seen in successful businesses is that of the Crazy Inventor and Visionary who gets his business off the ground, experiences huge success, and then needs to hire bureaucrats to keep his ship afloat, since it's run on about 50% crazy-fuel. They settle in and realize that the shop is unsustainable, they pull all nighter survival strategy meetings in an effort to save the day, and settle on a conservative game plan which brings the account back from the brink of heart failure. -And paradoxically, they end up firing the original genius, (or at least relegating him to a back office where he can't do any harm or make insane press releases.)

It looks like MS's cute little version of Bell Labs has run its course a little early.

gcoupe, Bronsky and dstrauss like this.