Microsoft's next Surface event is on October 2

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by alextrela182, Sep 8, 2018.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Undoubtedly the quad-core upgrade is huge, but they totally spoiled making it look awesome with all these other glaring flaws. There is no Windows 10 Pro on the Surface *Pro* anymore, either. It is literally part of the name. Surface. Pro. People already joke about the iPad Pro’s toy OS. I guess Microsoft wanted to jump on that bandwagon, too. I have to wonder, though: who were the executives who signed off on all of this stupidity letting it go forward as-is?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  2. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

From the Best Buy page,
    From Gizmodo,
    This is disappointing given that SB2 13" has no fan with the same i7 CPU model.

And how about giving a 512GB/16GB option to the i5? The i7 is simply robbery with its GPU downgrade and fan.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

Well folks, my hope is that this lackluster upgrade will drive down the prices of the nSP/SP5, which if I'm being honest, was the most enjoyable 2-in-1 I've owned and returned so far (I've decided I can live without great pen performance as I can use my iPP for sketching). Let me know if you see any deals over the coming weeks! :D

4. sonichedgehog360

Not more. I have to sign-off. This is just... underwhelming to the max.

5. sonichedgehog360

I guess tonight was not a total wash. Here is a link (good for 24 hours) to October 2018 update. This is actually a very nicely put together update, feature-rich and completely stable:

https://software-download.microsoft...1538621000&h=f0a35d9237f38133978c4c4bce08b868

After the 24-hour window expires, you can download the official ISO anytime by simply visiting the link below in Microsoft Edge. Once you arrive, open Edge's developer tools option, selecting the "Emulation" tab and setting the browser agent OS to Windows Phone. The ISO download option should then be available:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Chris_Kez likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

[​IMG]

BORED.

That's the word that comes to mind more than anything else - Microsoft is bored with hardware and just hopes one of the other OEM's takes up the mantle of leadership for Windows - and that looks more and more like HP. I have to say that @lovelaptops last comment above is the most concerning of all - Microsoft is deprecating the entire Surface line - and what could be more damning than two things:
    • A 7th gen processor in the flagship Surface Studio
    • "Pro" is no longer professional - its "Home"
    This all comes together with the developments at Build - Microsoft is driving 100mph towards a services company, even at the OS and Office level, and I believe they feel that Surface is no longer necessary and just a diversion from their new mission. Surface is no longer a showcase for Windows, as Windows is no longer the linchpin for Microsoft - a cash cow yes - but it's all about servicing the entire internet universe - just look at the amount of time spent on Android services - it's like they are saying "Look, we may not have a mobile device but we make the whole platform better."

PS - @lovelaptops - I may not have been able to reflect what you were feeling, because it so closely reflects mine...

lovelaptops and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

The cup-is-half-full, irrational optimist in me says: Microsoft totally rigged this Surface Pro launch to be mediocre on purpose so that when their radical redesign is released next year, the sheer scale of improvement between generations will make it a mind-blowing instabuy. In fact, they may have settled on 15W 8th Gen knowing full well that with the graphics downgrade to non-Iris, they can now claim an even bigger percentage jump in graphics performance when they make the switch to AMD, whose 7nm Ryzen APU and crazy fast integrated graphics even puts Iris to shame.

The grimly pessimistic, on the other hand, says: this is Microsoft we are talking about for crying out loud. "640K is more memory than anyone will ever need." "Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers..." Microsoft Bob. Windows ME. Windows Vista. Windows Media. How did you honestly expect Microsoft who is run by a ward of loons to have kept Surface on a roll for so long? You were pushing your luck the way it was. The honeymoon is over. It is time to come back down to earth and say hello to the Surface line and its realistic future.

8. Mindful Gadgets

Mindful Gadgets Pen Pal - Newbie

I wonder how much of the lackluster refresh is due to other OEMs complaining that the Surface line is eating away their sales. There are some pretty cool innovation coming from companies like Asus and HP

Chris_Kez likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I am the original "glass is half empty" guy, and this is the way I feel. Heaven help them if Apple ever gets over itself and adds a REAL file system and mouse support to the iPad Pro line - it will be a killer to the hopes of a real Windows tablet environment.

10. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

So...have they made any improvements to the Pen? o_O Gotta say, even if they did I would probably stick with my iPad Pro. I don’t even have a traditional computer outside of my workplace.

Also,,,what is “Surface” about the headphones? Can I draw on them? :vbconfused:

JoeS and nnthemperor like this.