Microsoft's next Surface event is on October 2

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by alextrela182, Sep 8, 2018.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Here is my response to a Thurrott.com article which I thought relevant enough to share here:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  2. sonichedgehog360

dstrauss isn't even replying but... I just. Can't. RANT ON. Just... look at this. This is taken directly from the Surface Pro 6 order page:

"Intel Core i7: You can upgrade the processor to an Intel Core i7 for the highest performance. The Intel Core i7 option includes Intel UHD graphics, making your photo, video, and 3D applications run faster. It also gives you the ability to play more PC games."

[​IMG]
    This is totally misleading. There is no difference in integrated graphics between the i5 and i7 models. There is no Iris like in past generations. Yet they write this on their Surface Pro 6 product page as if nothing has changed and you are getting better graphics. Really? REALLY?

RANT OFF.

EDIT: Join the Reddit discussion here. I just can't support a company when they deal dirty with disceptive marketing like this. Many unaware non-technical users will be misled unless this is corrected. I, for one, want to at least leave a dent against this sham. This is absolutely not what brought me to support the Surface brand. As such, all of my personal future Surface purchases are completely dependent on how Surface Pro 7 turns out next year.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    dstrauss likes this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

What are we going to talk about or look forward to now that Microsoft has:

1) Effectively removed themselves from the consumer hardware market (in the same way as Apple did several years ago, but they still had the iPhone and iPad. Aside from Surface devices, MS has - drumroll - a gimped Surface Go.

2) All but taken themselves out of the consumer/prosumer software market for applications

3) Left us with a consumer/prosumer OS that will go back to being the lesser of evils because at least there are so many OEMs still making exciting hardware that runs on it, gimpy, bogged down, un-modern and unreliable as it may be

I'm starting to think that Google may be on the horns of taking the consumer/prosumer device and software market by a storm - though still 6 mos to 1 yr away. I'm referring to ChromeOS with full Quad Boot into Linux, Android and Windows - in addition to a hopefully increasingly capable ChromeOS. Before you jump on me, please don't mistake this paragraph for signifying enthusiasm and trust that Google will pull it together and pull it off. Their business model is and will remain selling our digital lives to marketers and all the appliances are just a means to lock in the maximum number of lives to resell. Their best advantage, provided they don't get privacy-regulated out of economic viability here and in Europe, is that MS is screwing it up so badly that soon we may find the convenience of Google Docs is worth the lack of features and sophistication compared to MS Word. As One Note gets dumbed down and made un-private there isn't much comparative privacy lost giving in to the Google stranglehold. At least that's my very pessimistic view on this very disappointing day. (It's not that we were expecting much, it's that MS has been crapping on us for more than a year and that they were able to disappoint on a day when virtually nothing was expected - and less was delivered - seems a very bad omen.

Google is about to announce some killer new Pixelbooks and the old one was already quite a feat of engineering. Working in ChromeOS, where it can serve your needs, is by so far and away the best computing experience available that it will be hard to make a case to buy a new Surface device when you can buy an equally powerful, more versatile Pixelbook for the same price (rumor has it the pricing is headed downward) and if they do manage to get Windows support working in 2019 and produce the finest hardware for the mobile computer market with the finest user experience and zero maintenance requirements....(lost my train of thought from the beginning of the long sentence.

@dstrauss , please post me a graphic or video to reflect how I'm feeling!!!!

dstrauss and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  4. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

To be fair, Microsoft invited a few tech journalists to a small non-descript warehouse with a couple of couches. The whole thing was maybe an hour and they didn't even stream it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kumabjorn, Marty and JoeS like this.
  5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Blessed are the hopeless, they'll never be disappointed.
    Guess, it's now on to Samsung event. On the 5th, right? I wonder what birthday surprise Sammy has in stock for me.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

On the topic of the October update, should we be getting this on Windows Update right now? My X1Y3 is not seeing it.

Edit: apparently MS' Machine Learning algorithm decides whether any machine is worthy. See here: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ow-to-get-the-windows-10-october-2018-update/

Even manually checking it doesn't show, which if I read that article correctly implies that there's a blocking issue for the X1 Yoga 3rd gen. Boo.

Edit: gotta love how TPCR abbreviates that link

7. lovelaptops

The problem is they needed to have a major event. They needed to make significant upgrades to the line. They needed to get TB3 and LTE and, yes, USB-C onto their devices and they needed to get IRIS into the top of the line devices and to finish releasing the Surface Go with the 8GB/256GB/LTE version. The fact that they didn't plan to and will get around to it when they get around to it (like putting 8th gen cpus in their flagship devices a year late) and it is certainly their prerogative to not care about being competitive in the hardware market. It's just so disappointing, as we really need a leader, who takes design and quality as seriously as Apple but on the Windows platform, the way they've been teasing us into thinking they were doing. As I alluded to earlier, Apple has done the same thing with the MacBook line and perhaps they're both making wise business decisions - Apple because their bread and butter is with phones, tablets, services; MS because theirs is enterprise. It's just a bummer for all of us, is all. And because they've become nearly consumer-hostile in their behavior in the past year makes it easier for this member to be more than disappointed, but angry. If they've got such massive cash cows going in enterprise and all the consumers stuck with Windows and Office, and they've got massive investments in hardware development compared to any other "normal" company, why not either excel at hardware or exit the business? I think it amounts to a branding campaign - you can't have product placement if you don't have products to place; you can't showcase MS Outlook in a movie scene!

gcoupe and dstrauss like this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

By the way, Windows 10 Pro ironically does not come standard anymore with the Surface Pro at least—just Home. Whaaa... Why call it a Surface Pro then? That is literally part of the name, guys. That was a low blow and totally unnecessary when unlike their competitors, it costs them nothing in licensing.

Just... wow. The more I look, the more I find of bad things to dislike about this whole generation. At this point, unless the Surface Pro 7 radically improves things back to its amazing heritage, adiós Surface for me. I am dead serious.

dstrauss likes this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Well.. they're still pretty nice machines so I'm not sure they really needed major changes. For me the main wish list items: TB3 all around and yoga hinge on the Surface Laptop. So they're pretty close to perfect for me personally. And in MS' defense, the Surface Studio did get the much needed kick in the HDD pants.. That thing looks great, albeit with a slightly outdated CPU from what I read.

The one Surface Device where I'd really like to see some big changes is the Surface Book 3. As in, add kickstand, add TB3 on slate, make fulcrum hinge 360deg. But now I'm being greedy.. :)

sonichedgehog360 and nnthemperor like this.
  10. lovelaptops

Yeah, par for the course they've been on recently. Like no pens included when they once were, overall the Surface product line has been an exercise in de-contenting, weakening the effectiveness of warranties, staying a year or more behind on hardware standards, and changing virtually nothing while raising prices - explicitly or implicitly by taking away formerly standard accessories. I believe that any real consumer brand - Samsung, Lenovo, HP, Dell would be pilloried in the marketplace and tech press for all of this. What galls me is that both Apple and Microsoft - and, frankly, Google in their limited, feeble forays into hardware - are treated as if somehow they get away with such terrible product development and support because, because, because WHY???

sonichedgehog360 likes this.