Microsoft's next Surface event is on October 2

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by alextrela182, Sep 8, 2018.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

The site I was following had a silly typo. Sorry for the confusion.

2. sonichedgehog360

Totally saw this coming. Like I have been saying, they should have gone with an AMD variant. There is now literally no value add in the i7 for me, you and many others who were after Iris’ doubled GPU execution units. Now, I can only hope a 7nm AMD Ryzen 3000-series APU is in the cards for that major redesign for next year that we keep hearing about.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Waiting for Godot again (tip of the hat to @Kumabjorn for getting my spelling straight)...

"Panos said what..."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kumabjorn and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  4. sonichedgehog360

True story: Microsoft once had specially branded Surface Grado Labs headphones.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/microsoft-designed-for-surface-grado-labs-headphones.71322/

Grado knows audio. Microsoft knows this. These actually do bear a little bit of a resemblance to the Grados’ swivel mechanism. So we might have some truly audiophile-grade headphones on our hands here, not the muddy or tinny crud Beats and Apple shovel out to their drones. Objectively speaking, Apple earphones are among the worst on the market—massive lower treble boost and bass MIA:

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/apple-airpods.php

Now here is what a good sound response on a solid pair of Grados looks like:

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/grado-sr-325e.php

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Marty likes this.
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Which means + €1000 from the previous model when it hits Europe.

Which was already + $800 compared to the US prices.
    Lovely. :D

6. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Totally depressed about the Pro 6. Gimped graphics... no noticeable design changes... no usb-c... Its like they had nothing so they said... "HEY! I know! Lets make it black!" They would have gotten me with that if they weren't stepping backwards on graphics.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

Yeah, I tweeted your thoughts. Hopefully they notice because I was also taken aback and underwhelmed. What you say is literally a reflection of many thousands of other i7 Surface gaming users. For example, see here where there is alone 4000+ subscribers. Your gaming videos also have well over 100K+ views each.

Overall? Dumb move, Microsoft, dumb move. Then again, Intel was equally dumb to not release a 15W 8th Gen processor with Iris. So I guess it is more accurately stated, dumb move, Team Wintel, dumb move. Microsoft would avail themselves much to switch to AMD next year and divorce themselves of Intel's CPU development slow boat.

cbutters likes this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

Haha. Besides the suspiciously non-streamed (non)event, Microsoft must have known many people were going to be disappointed in one way or another and pulled an Apple. They have disabled comments on their YouTube reveal videos just like Apple has done for the longest time.

JoeS likes this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

Yeah. This was the most ho-hum Surface event in their history. They may very well be making bank (that 25% revenue increase that was quoted) because of last year's products, but I for one am not hyped from this year's products. They better have something absolutely amazing next year in order to bounce back from this categorical letdown.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  10. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Microsoft should have saved themselves the embarrassment and simply issued a press release. I don't think too many people would complain about it being no big deal if Microsoft made no big deal out of it. :rolleyes:

dstrauss and sonichedgehog360 like this.