Microsoft's next Surface event is on October 2

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by alextrela182, Sep 8, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Always the pessimist, I still think this will be a minimal bump, and with @sonichedgehog360 's explanation, I give up on iris graphics as well. However, I do have to cheer for @darkmagistric 's comment on superior graphics on the Surface Studio - there is STILL nothing comparable in the market fruit or window, and it should continue to extend the lead with the graphics bump and TB3 to make it a powerhouse Microsoft workstation!

YVerloc likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I'd also love them to introduce a Surface Monitor .....the Studio without the PC part...>>

...Me, too! I think that product would fill a huge void in the monitor market: A high gamut display with pen and touch...

darkmagistric and dstrauss like this.
  3. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

‘A moment of your time’. F U Microsoft. You already wasted dozens and dozens of hours of my time troubleshooting your broken hardware. Pay me back at my hourly rate then we can talk about more moments of my time,

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

From Tom Warren at the Verge:

"...Microsoft has reportedly been working on a big redesign for the Surface Pro, but that design isn’t likely to be ready until next year. Instead, we’re expecting Microsoft to refresh its Surface Pro line and Surface Laptops with the latest Intel processors..."

Barring any new device announcements, that statement takes a lot of the shine off this event from my perspective...

alextrela182 likes this.
  5. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don't tickle the hearts of tpcr artists, Steve! You know it'll never happen!

Purpose of microsoft's hardware division - to showcase all the capabilities of windows (pen, art, touch, apps, legacy programs) and create new product categories, no? So a monitor alone would not have windows on it

As a nonartist, I wonder though- wouldn't most people still prefer EMR or a budget option like huion?

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And that's a surprise to you?. Rumors of them doing just this......a late 2018/Fall refresh and full redesign Pro for 2019......leaked months ago.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Given its 2/3 ratio and expensive Price....I can't image anyone would intend to use it as a TV or for console gaming. And the ability to use it with OSX or Linux could easily be locked down if Microsoft wishes such. Point being.....I can't image anyone buying one would have anything but Windows on it. And technically......a Pen/Touch Surface Monitor that could be used with Any PC.....would be a new category for the Surface Family. The trickier part would be if they locked it down to Windows 10 only. I know alot of people (myself included) running their Desktops with Win 7.

And as an Artist Perspective.....while EMR would still be my preference.......my recent use of the nSP.....with the nSP Pen has pleasantly surprised me. Pretty big pen performance jump from using the Pro 4 pen with the nSP. So a Surface Monitor would definitely be in my potential purchase cards.

8. fuglee

fuglee Pen Pal - Newbie

If they do this, they should also add Bluetooth to the keyboard section so you can prop up the screen for a more ergonomic setup.

I guess brydge would be the alternative but no pogo pins. Really need both options.

9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There is the remote possibility that Microsoft will pull a trump card and release a Surface Pro with Raven Ridge 2018 whose Vega Graphics is leaps and bounds ahead of Intel's Iris Pro Graphics. Why? Since the 2014 Surface Pro 3, Microsoft has consistently released an i7 model with Iris Graphics and often highlighted its added graphics performance for 3D modeling in their marketing materials. The problem is Intel has no 15W 8th Gen CPUs with Iris Graphics to be found. One of the reasons for this apparent lack is 8th Gen quad-core Intel CPUs already often exceed their official TDPs making Iris graphics at 15W a difficult design problem.

So Intel is already out of the running for a high-performance integrated graphics offering at 15W. What is left? Enter AMD. At Hot Chips 2018, a major semiconductor technical conference, AMD teased that their 2018 revision of mobile version of their Ryzen processor, Raven Ridge, has further increased performance versus idle power. The catch to all of this? They have had no major releases of their mobile Raven Ridge processors since late 2017. Plus, their chart showcasing this improvement listed both Raven Ridge 2017 and Raven Ridge 2018.

Time for some out-of-left-field conjecture. It is possible that AMD landed a historic, major design win with Microsoft and is launching Raven Ridge 2018 on the Surface Pro. Of course, this could be construed as a major redesign and would fly in the face of Microsoft's own words stating that a major redesign for the Surface Pro would be not coming until 2019. But perhaps the term "major redesign" only refers to the mechanical and the physical body and not the electronic internals? I would like me some AMD Ryzen Surfaces...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  10. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No redesign =no party.
    Pass until 2019 event.

I really don’t care for just slightly CPU-GPU jump and nothing more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro