Microsoft's next Surface event is on October 2

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by alextrela182, Sep 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Let me counter rant. ;)

What is the hoopla for USB-C? What "experiential" difference does it provide over USB-A?

USB-C is "experiential" for Mac users for two reasons. First, it is a step backwards from mag-safe. So now if someone trips over your power cord, you can go back to potentially damaging the connector or jack. Note that the Surface retains this "mag-safe" charging connector. ;)

USB-C provides a universal docking solution for the Mac. Back when corporate laptops had docking stations, the Apple DuoDock allowed a similar operation. Slide your Mac into a dock and you are connected to power, video, network, etc... But before USB-C, when you "docked" your Mac, you'd separately connect power, video and maybe a USB-A for keyboard and mouse.

...the surface is "experientially" superior. One magnetic connector to provide everything USB-C provides.

When my Surface is docked, I have immediate access to USB-A peripherals (keyboard, mouse, encrypted USB) I leave plugged in. When I'm on the go, I rarely use USB-A, but occasionally use a USB drive. If Surface converted over to USB-C, it would just mean I'd have to carry another dongle.

My other observation from looking over at the Mac camp is that not all USB-C hubs/docks/replicators are created equal. Some work better with others on the Mac. If this is true, then it seems like a lot of extra hassle, when the Surface Dock "just works".

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@b52hbuff Couldn't agree more! Except for the convenience of universal charging, USC-C is a pain.

siddhartth likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

When implmented correctly, it can make a significant experiential difference. Case in point my use of the Galaxy Book 10.6.

I currently have the i5/8GB Surface Pro 2017 with USB Type A, and the Core m3/4GB Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6, which is slightly older then the 2017 Pro and only has a single USB-C Connection.

With that single Type A port on the Pro…..I often have trouble powering USB devices such as Blu-Ray Players, older portable Hard drives, and I have a 13-inch Lenovo Pen/Touch Monitor…..that as is can’t be powered by the lone USB-A port on the Pro. Its needs a 2nd USB power supply to run.

Now my Galaxy Book 10.6 with its lone USB-C port…..can power everything no compromises…..its lone port can even fully power the 13-inch Lenovo Monitor all on its own. It also comes off more snappy, responsive and despite the Galaxy Book having a weak Core m3 and slower Emmc local storage, it loads thumb drives/harddrive in windows explorer faster then my Surface Pro and the transfer speeds themselves are pretty damn fast.

The biggest boon is also….device depending…..easy Power access. My Galaxy Book 10.6’s charger is a hair larger then my Note 8 Phone charger……but both my Book 10.6 and Note 8 are basically interchangeable with each others chargers, and they charge just as fast. If you’re packing a small day bag…..it really is nice just to pack one charger and swap it between the Tablet and Phone. And in case of the Galaxy Book 10.6…..I can use portable phone battery packs and charge the Tablet. A 5200 Battery can charge the Galaxy Book about half, and the larger 10200 size charger can fully charge the book from 0 to almost 100%. Now if I’m at a 4 hour life drawing class….or on a long Flight/Train/Bus Ride where having a power outlet isn't always possible……being able to charge on the Go is a very valuable asset.

In that specific Regard Microsoft totally screwed up with the Surface Go since it can’t use lower powered USB-C chargers and Battery Packs (despite the Go being weaker then the Galaxy Book).

thierryb, Marty and desertlap like this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'll counter-counter rant :)

USBC is a more durable connector, it's faster (version 1 and above) reversible and so on. When combined with Thunderbolt3 it is a much faster more powerful more versatile connection.

That being said, the current state except for Macs is half-assed at best with inconsistent implementation and various incompatibilities that are ALL the manufacturers fault. This is an area where MS could actually show some leadership.

And the dongle thing really doesn't hold water in my book. You are willing to spend $1500-2000 for a new computer and aren't willing to pony up $50 or so for some new cables? When I got my book 2 I bought four cables (one for each external device I use) and it cost me $46 at amazon

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'll see your counters and raise you a few:
    • It's not just Apple on the USB-C and/or Thunderbolt 3 train: HP, Dell, Lenovo, Samsung, Acer, Asus, they are all on that rail - it's basically THE WHOLE INDUSTRY except for Microsoft
    • USB-C is fast becoming the universal charging solution (wait until iPad Pro 2018 drops)
    • Vendors (Samsung, LG) and third party USB-C only docks with USB A, SD Card, HDMI/Displayport options
    • Multiple Thunderbolt 3 docks from multiple vendors - and they generally cross-work (used a Dell on HP and vice versa) - providing 4k video support, gigabit ethernet, USB-A and C, Thunderbolt 3 peripherals
    • Thunderbolt 3 dGPU boxes and docks
    The bottom line is that the entire industry is going to Thunderbolt 3 as the universal docking and peripheral solution...you guys need to give up your serial and parallel ports for the future...and so does Microsoft when they are asking you to buy $2,000-$5,000 computers...

Speaking of which, if they really did put a 7th gen processor in the Surface Studio 2 they should have their technology licenses revoked!

PS - I must be a real anomaly - in 32 years of portable computing I have never tripped over a power cord to the point I pulled the laptop off of a desk or other object.

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

For those who said MS was turning into Apple with these product releases, fear not..

upload_2018-10-2_16-13-18.png

7. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

JoeS likes this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Panos looks.. different

upload_2018-10-2_16-15-56.png

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

How is this thing, in this day-and-age, not streaming? And, what was Panay thinking with that jacket?

sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.
  10. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

In regards to the Surface Pro: "a Microsoft survey claims 99 percent of Surface owners love their devices."

That seems hard for me to believe unless they very selective on who they surveyed.