Microsoft's next Surface event is on October 2

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by alextrela182, Sep 8, 2018.

1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Microsoft should really put a kickstand on the Surface Book. With all the attention to upgrading the Surface line, I guess we lowly Go owners can hold our breath for a firmware update.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I hope that Microsoft sticks with this "short notice" announcement approach. Announcing things six or eight weeks in advance just leads to fatigue as everyone counts down the weeks. A short announcement should keep the excitement fresh...

siddhartth and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  4. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That would be great but i really doubt ever happened.

Let’s hope this time put thunderbolt port( 2 minimum) and maintain 1 classic usb 3.0+SD Card.

Also reduce bezel and increase screen to body ration for example offering 12.5-12.6 inches at overall current dimension of Pro 17.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

This would be lovely. A clamshell keyboard doc for a Pro, or a kickstand for the Book. I know, I know... that sort of merges the lines and probably increases price, but the truth is that if MS is aiming for a quality device, then combining and highlighting the best features in a single line or device would be of benefit.

Alternately, if they could just give us something like the Book but in a much smaller format, that would also be cool. Personally, to me the Go would be more useful as a clamshell. Just personal preference.

Just various thoughts. I wonder what they would announce that would be new in terms of format? I would imagine its just updates for existing products.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The clamshell would have worked for me as long as the kickstand was not eliminated. That is the flaw with the current Lenovo 10" tablet. It has the clamshell base but omitted a kickstand. I don't think anyone is going to put them together (yes even Microsoft). After using the Go keyboard for awhile now, I am quite pleased with its utility as a keyboard.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

What are talking about - that is 576 HOURS I have to keep my Amex sheathed!

That's way too much to hope for, especially given the widely rumored "substantial redesign" for Spring 2019 (read June/July). I think at best we'll see:
    • Surface Pro 18
      • Processor bump to 8th Gen Core i5 and i7, Iris graphics on i7
      • If lucky, they'll sub a regular USB-C 3.1 for the mini-displayport
      • If really lucky, sub Intel for WiFi and Qualcomm for LTE
      • Really hope there is a 512gb option for LTE model
    • Surface Studio
      • 8th Gen Core i5, i7, and i9 and GTX 1060 - 4gb
      • Up to 32gb RAM and 2TB SSD - no more spinning platters
      • Here you might see your first Thunderbolt 3 port(s)
    I could be wrong (more often than not), but this is a typical Apple yawn year - give 'em a processor bump, talk down the competition, and take their money while they wait for real innovation.

Chris_Kez, sonichedgehog360 and Marty like this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Just a note: the only problem is as of yet, there is no 8th Gen 15W Core i5 or i7 with Iris, only 28W. My take? The reason, in my observation, is these 15W 8th Gen quad-cores actually consume a bit more power than their “official” TDPs suggest. Adding a higher power GPU would only further add to this problem and it could lead to aggressive throttling to the CPU. So Intel has held back from releasing a 15W Iris part.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A GTX 1060 4GB should be the default lowest graphics config. Given the price point, they should offer a GTX 1080 with 8-12GB as options.

.....I'd also love them to introduce a Surface Monitor .....the Studio without the PC part.

As far as the Surface Pro refresh......provided it is just a 8th gen refresh....I wouldn't hold hope out for Thunderbolt 3 yet........but I somewhat hope they retain the USB Type A alongside the Type C port. Assuming it will probably be the same 8.5mm thickness....they could easily accommodate both ports. The Surface Go as is....could have easily retained the Type A port. And if they cripple the USB-C's charging capabilities as they did with the Go.....the USB-C port would lose alot of its allure.

dstrauss likes this.
  10. Mindful Gadgets

Mindful Gadgets Pen Pal - Newbie

I am expecting Microsoft to refresh the Surface Pro and Surface Laptop to have port parity (usb-c 3.1) with the Surface Go and Surface Book 2. Update the CPUs to the new Whiskey Lake line. Probably slightly thinner bezels though it's probably a screen size increase to 13 inch in the 12.3 body so they can retain the keyboard size.

I hope they refresh the Surface Book line to have Whiskey Lake CPU and Nvdia RTX 2080 Max Q but I am not holding my breath.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk