Microsoft... what the frack are you doing?!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by HawkLS, May 19, 2018.

1. HawkLS

HawkLS Pen Pal - Newbie

Some updates...

Got some spare time to work on it. Attached a monitor via HDMI and manage to see that the Z Canvas was stuck waiting for some user intervention, clicked on a continue button, the Windows update started another progress count up. After some eternal minutes I got Windows back in business. What a relief!

Took a lot of my time and I didn't have time to enjoy the new features of that last update.

Now I'll try to get the pen tamed.

Thanks you all guys for the support, hints and tips. Peace!

2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The thing is, it was fine when I bought my Samsung Galaxy Book 12 and Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus --- just about perfect in fact --- I still don't understand the justification for taking away the perfectly natural:

- pen selects and interacts with interface elements
    - touch scrolls and manipulates interface via gestures such as zooming

I still haven't allowed my machine to update since rolling back Fall Creator's Update, and if Microsoft manages to force it to update without my permission, I'm liable to throw it against a wall.

What is so difficult to understand about the fact that I like using the stylus which was bundled with my machine, and until I choose to purchase a new product from Microsoft, I expect what I bought and paid for to continue to function as it did when I purchased it.

dellaster likes this.
  3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What's frustrating to me is that Microsoft isn't even consistent in these things. Word has had a "feature" going back I don't know how far, maybe ti the beginning, that when you change a style the paragraph will maintain applied bolds or italics and such up to 49%. But if you have, say, 50% or more italics in that paragraph everything is zeroed to normal text. No other word processing program I've ever tried does that. If you do a search and look up Microsoft support on the subject you'll see that it's the expected behavior. My guess being that they screwed it up right at the beginning and now their business customers expect it to be that way, so they won't change it even though only a demented doofus would believe that it's the correct way to do it. I have spent uncounted hours having to remember/note down where the italics & bolds are, changing to a custom style, and then manually putting them back—for example lots of novels have flashback or internal monologue sections that are almost all italic, with small parts normal like place names, emphasis, and 'he said' stuff.

Yet they question a small focus group about pen behavior, apparently, and some of them said that they didn't have enough fingers on their hands so please make the stylus act like another finger. So they changed the previous expected behavior based on that feedback!

My respect for Microsoft is hitting a new low, and that's saying something since I go all the way back to when they only made BASIC.

/endrant

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    batty, DRTigerlilly and WillAdams like this.
  4. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I keep thinking that they need to sweep out the stylus focus group and make sure it's represented by artists and notetakers. For all this talk about how the new Windows "is for creatives", they flat out f'd up on this update. I still can't understand what kind of stylus scenarios they envisioned for the changes they made.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have to wonder if Nadella's nephew and other similarly connected individuals make up Microsoft's focus groups. That would certainly explain it all. :rolleyes:

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

On the topic of "what are you doing", they canceled the Groove Music app for Android and iOS. I guess it makes sense, still annoying for a former MS fanboy.

7. HawkLS

HawkLS Pen Pal - Newbie

Just an update:

Now that I got my Z Canvas running Windows 10 Spring Update smoothly and the pen is quite acceptable (after doing the registry hack) I need some more help from you guys:

How on hell I could find the latest drivers on VAIO support page?

I got to this page >> LINK << but I can't choose by date the newest drivers and I'm not sure which one are newer than what I have in my Z Canvas.

VAIO used to have a nice support page but they changed it a while ago.

Any suggestions?