Microsoft... what the frack are you doing?!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by HawkLS, May 19, 2018.

1. HawkLS

HawkLS Pen Pal - Newbie

Once upon a time there was a Vaio Z Canvas and Windows 10, a nice marriage of a top notch hardware and quite good software.

Then Microsoft brought in the Creators Update and spoiled all the magic of using a electronic pen but the marriage barely survived and life moves on.

Now Microsoft brought home the Spring Update and turned heaven in hell knocking the Z Canvas to eternal sleep.

Why Microsoft... WHY?!?!

Now I have a giant paper weight because the Z Canvas is stuck at the Black Screen of Death and I can't make screen show any sign of life. What the frack?!

After my mistake I read that lots of people are having problems with the latest Windows 10's update.

Does anybody got the same problem or have a solution for that? :(

WillAdams likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

sorry, I haven't had that problem myself (yet)......but that last update a few days ago screwed me up too. Somehow it messed with Clip Studio Paint on my Samsung Galaxy Book making the program unopenable.....it took days of re/un-installing to get it to work. And my Book 10.6.....which ran flawlesslessly since the day I got it about a year ago....is now a lagged up mess. Knock on wood your problem doesn't compound mine....or vice versa.

3. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

By black screen of death, do you mean that it loads normally into Windows but then you get a black screen? If yes, I had exactly this problem with the Spring update on my Vaio Z Canvas. There are many videos on YouTube that show possible ways to solve it. I don't exactly remember what worked for me, but I remember I rolled back to a previous save point for Windows, then disallowed updates for a while. I actually updated recently and everything is running smoothly.

So is your problem that Windows seems to start normally but then you get a black screen? If yes, on the black screen can you launch Task Manager by using a keyboard and Ctrl+Alt+Tab?

4. HawkLS

HawkLS Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope! I got nothing on the display when I turn my Z Canvas on. It doesn't respond to the keyboard or any touch. I had turned it off (by holding the power button) and on several times and all I got is a dead screen.

Those that have the latest window's update running, does it bring back the joy of using the pen or it's still acting weird? By acting weird I mean that sometimes it acts like a finger and sometimes like it should do.

5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I made a post about my experiences and tweaks on April Update 1803. In general, I've been able to get the pen behaving pretty much like before.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

The pen input has been giant miss on windows so far. Their support for digitizer's is supremely lacking.

7. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

The April Update went well on my Z Canvas and I have it running since 3 weeks without an issue.
    However I should note that I'm using newer Intel graphics drivers and not the one provided by VAIO.
    Graphics drivers issues could be a cause.
    @HawkLS So your display doesn't even turn on when booting or using the bios? Then it's more likely not an Windows issue.
    Does the backlight turn on or is the screen completely dead? What about connecting to an external display?

8. HawkLS

HawkLS Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm glad to know that it's possible to restore the pen usability (or as near as possible).

I did'nt try to access the BIOS because it seems that Z Canvas have lost the wireless connection with the keyboard. I was so pissed off that haven't got time to try another options.

I'm pretty sure it's Windows fault because it happened after the install of the last update when the Z Canvas restarted for the last time and never recovered again. Maybe it happened due to the graphics driver incompatibility and installing a Intel driver could be a solution but I can't do what I can't see!

After reading so many bad testimonials regarding the Window's Spring Update I was expecting a flood of Z Canva's pissed off owners like me but it doesn't seems the case. Maybe it was bad luck but the Z Canvas had some much computing power that it became my main machine for doing graphics work.

When I calm down I will try other recovery options and let you guys know if I succeed or not.

9. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Can you attach the device to an external monitor? Is it just windows that gives you a black screen on loading or do you not even get the vaio splash screen on post?

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Can you attach the device to an external monitor?..>>

...Same suggestion. Another person on one of the forums used this approach to recover his tablet when the screen wouldn't light up...