Microsoft to replace Edge with Chromium based browser

Discussion in 'Press Releases and Announcements' started by DRTigerlilly, Dec 3, 2018.

1. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not sure, they could continue to name it edge.

2. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

I didn't realize that you can't be one of the Cool Kids if you use Edge. Oh well, I've always been a nerdy outsider. :p

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

When I read Mozilla's bleak statement on the death of Edge:

"From a social, civic and individual empowerment perspective ceding control of fundamental online infrastructure to a single company is terrible. This is why Mozilla exists. We compete with Google not because it’s a good business opportunity."

I was a little taken aback, but not overly concerned. But now after reading this story from an ex-Edge developer, I am worried:

"I very recently worked on the Edge team, and one of the reasons we decided to end EdgeHTML was because Google kept making changes to its sites that broke other browsers, and we couldn’t keep up. For example, they recently added a hidden empty div over YouTube videos that causes our hardware acceleration fast-path to bail (should now be fixed in Win10 Oct update). Prior to that, our fairly state-of-the-art video acceleration put us well ahead of Chrome on video playback time on battery, but almost the instant they broke things on YouTube, they started advertising Chrome’s dominance over Edge on video-watching battery life. What makes it so sad, is that their claimed dominance was not due to ingenious optimization work by Chrome, but due to a failure of YouTube. On the whole, they only made the web slower."

MS should just stick to their guns; Edge is good for what it is: solid, consistent performance across all platforms. I hope Nadella reverses this decision.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

i for one liked Edge, but one has to understand that it was done for our own convenience. Good or bad, but blink is the engine for which websites are built. ITts a smart decision. i imagine that skin and functions will look the same.

My issue with the Edge is not related to it's rendering engine, but about something that was more problematic in it to begin with. The "linked notes in onenote" (that is parallel note taking in OneNote while reading in internet explorer has not yet been brought over to Microsoft edge, which is supposed to replace the older browser for all practical purposes). The linked notes feature has become all the more important now since it now has annotation features for ebooks in pdfs and epub formats. It would be really convenient for knowledge workers like lawyers, scientists, economists, doctors, journalists and students of any kind, to research through multiple documents open in different browser tabs at the same time. And when the workflow has to be interrupted because of something, the user can save all these tabs together as "set", thanks to the new "sets" feature in app. I think this functionality can be hugely beneficial to most users. So, blink is hardly any source of worry for me, it's the broken integration between Microsoft's own modern apps that worries me.

Another thing that worries me is Microsoft is completely behind in the custom silicon game. Apple develops it's own ARM silicon for ipad. Why must Microsoft lag behind. Even the surface go was an intel pentium. This year's Surface pro has to be a Qualcomm 8cx or better with thin bezels. Especially on Surface go and pro. And as a tabletpc user, what worries me most is this wholesale adoption of bad AES technologies like Wacom AES, NTrig and Synaptics that has been a complete disaster since last 5-4 years. But now, HP has realised what samsung knew all along- Wacom EMR is the only pen tech that's dependable for professionals who really depend on their pens. Ntrig has shown very lil improvement but it's still way behind when it comes to the near zero grams initial activation force in it's competitors.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    dstrauss likes this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hmm. the sooner Edge is killed off and taken off the Windows 10 installation the better: I have to use Edge at work and it freezes as soon as you have 10 tabs open or more. I've got a 2 year old Lenovo desktop with an i5 processor so it's not about trying to run on an ancient processor / system. Funny thing is the first 8 tabs are Tabs we have to have open as they all support different admin tasks that we have to have open.

Edge is just poo. I have to close the whole browser down at least twice a day.

It could be that my system supports two screens (one to project information to my students and one for me) but Chrome and Internet Explorer don't have the same problem - but running either these two alternate browsers runs the risk of my knuckles being rapped by our IT department.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I can't even IMAGINE an IT department worth its salt standardizing on Edge - do you work at Microsoft or something?

JoeS and doobiedoobiedum like this.
  7. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We got taken over 6 years ago and have no choice. :confused:

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

So far I'm very happy with the Edge on Chromium. Google maps works better, Youtube works better, favorites bar works better with touch, autoscroll is better. I have yet to find something that works worse. No dark theme I guess, but otherwise I haven't looked back.

9. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Is that Edge beta on Android, or have they not switched that OS' version to Chromium? Just tried it out and it locked into landscape on a webpage when I played a YouTube video. Had to close the app to get it back to portrait. Beta indeed.

Alas, it and Chrome, et al, will never be my default browser on Android until they have the option to not show the status bar on top. Only Samsung's default browser gives a true full screen. Not only is it more visually appealing--especially with a dark video playback--but it also prevents OLED burn-in of the static status display bar.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I was talking about Edge on Chromium on Windows. I liked the old Edge, but it had lots of little quirks that I didn't care for, and it missed some power features. This new version resolved all of that for me.