Microsoft to replace Edge with Chromium based browser

Discussion in 'Press Releases and Announcements' started by DRTigerlilly, Dec 3, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

No...:cool:

Chris_Kez likes this.
  2. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

I have two major concerns about how this will effect browser efficiency and OneNote integration moving forward. Several independent tests have shown the battery efficiency of Edge.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...ge-still-gets-much-better-battery-life-chrome

Will the new Chromium-based browser be as battery efficient?

And I am a huge user of OneNote. How well will a Chromium-based browser be integrated into OneNote? Will web clipping still work as well?

3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah, Netscape, loved that browser. It felt naughty using Netscape and trying not to use Internet Explorer. Our IT actively pushed for us to use Netscape - why would anyone ban it from their company machines?

Chrome was at one point the naughty alternative but boy did it work well. Now, I avoid Chrome like the plague and use Opera where I can. Just checked and it rates highly - nice to be on the right bandwagon early on for a change!

4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Opera is also based now based Chromiun engine. I am a bit partial to Vivaldi, but recently saw some issues with it and moved to Edge while still also using Chrome. I only now use vivaldi for to post on certain sites that there is no extension for on Edge, while chrome is my main browser and edge is secondary(also logged in to another google account on it). Chrome's battery issues(if there is any still) is more due to google than anything. If MS moves to base the browser off that I am sure they would have it be a bit more efficient.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I recall those days fondly, I joined as of Chrome 1.0, and loved how lightweight it was. Extensions got me hooked, before you had to worry about extensions from smaller devs getting bought out and subverted. I recall following the Chrome marketshare, and being amazed and happy about how well it was doing. Boy have times changed, at least for me.
    I didn't mean that the Edge team was lazy, I'm saying MS was lazy by having IE stagnate. The Edge team has been pretty good, although the tabs, bookmarks, and sync behavior are atrocious. The IE guys let Google eat their lunch, as nicely illustrated by your graph.

6. JoeS

7. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can't believe it. After having spent so much time to improve it.

And why choosing chromium and not Firefox and contributing to an open-source project ?

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Who understands a monopolist better than a fellow monopolist?

Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. JoeS

Chromium is an open source project, see here. Apparently the plan is to make the rendering engine based on the same one that Chrome uses, swapping out the javascript engine, and keeping the rest of Edge.

Downside: they keep everything that made Edge bad: the bad favorites sync, the weird behavior of favorites folders, the weird behavior of the tab bar when switching tabs in full screen.. the list goes on. Plus they add the bad power efficiency and bad scrolling performance of Chrome. Upside: it might finally fix the insanely slow YouTube behavior, so that's something. :)

dstrauss, bloodycape and WillAdams like this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

At least my kids will stop laughing at me for not using Chrome and preferring Edge.

DRTigerlilly and JoeS like this.