Microsoft to permanently closes all their stores

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yes. That's exactly right. This is particularly true of those like me who have finally been provided a device that performs perfectly for the job that it has to do. We Surface 3 and GO1 users weathered two generations of less than satisfactory devices to permit the company time to develop what we knew would be a killer device from the get go. Now that we have climbed to the mountain top, Microsoft takes away the essential service that made the products look so desirable in the first place. A decade before, almost the same thing happened with Lenovo Thinkpad notebooks. As the quality of the notebooks continued to develop, the next-day onsite service that attracted me to the Thinkpads began to be watered down.

JoeS, DRTigerlilly, Bishop and 2 others like this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

As I clearly reprimanded myself and others for a page or two ago, please be careful posting this kind of content about MS - @Marty is already in a deep depression :eek:.

nnthemperor and DRTigerlilly like this.
  3. jangaru

jangaru Pen Pal - Newbie

Having purchased a new SP7 this past October from MS w/ Complete makes me really angry with this news. Would it have killed MS to have announced some plan for their Surface purchasers where we can get the same in-person support from third party resellers for the length of our warranty (aka Costco, Best Buy, etc)?!? I feel incredibly ripped off since I paid for Microsoft Complete because I have had good experiences with in-person support.

@jnjroach if you're around, I hope you can pass the idea along.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My 2 year protection on my Pro 5 just expired, so I at least got most of the 2 years out of it, but if I had plunked down for a Pro 7 last October and got the plan, I'd be pissed too. They can still honor the protection plan remotely, but its no where as convenient as just going to the store with a broken unit and walking out with a replacement. Especially if it breaks right before a weekend. Even with the fastest shipping the whole process could take up to a week and its more effort on the user's end to ship it out.

But I'd imagine not being able to extend the protection plan to Best Buy or other Stores was not done more so because of the pandemic then the store closing. Stores like Best Buy are kind of a mess because of the Pandemic, renegotiation taking over another company's protection plan was probably the last thing Best Buy would want to do, especially since they have their own Geek Squad Protection plan that from what I can tell is similar enough to the Surface Complete Plan. Covers 2 accidental break for the same price as Microsofts. Since I'm sure a lot of us will be buying from Best Buy for future Surface products, we should all probably get acquainted with their protections plan policies.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Take this with a grain (tablespoon?) of salt from a well known a Worst Buy detractor - most Geek Squad repairs entail them shipping your Surface product to MS for repair. All you get is an intermediary. They do not do direct swaps (at least never have for me). Tread carefully - you may as well deal direct with MS, even if it is a shipping hassle, as rely on the white shirts at Worst Buy.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well thats kind of stupid if that is the case.

I was reading up on their plan regarding accidental damage,

"If you accidentally drop or spill on your device, a replacement or store credit will be provided at a Best Buy store or by mail."

Now given how many products they have from so many OEMs, if its a specific model or brand they no longer have in stock or even carry, I could fully understand them not being able to do a direct swap in those instances, but in cases like Surface's they should have no shortage of supply, nor would it be likely they would stop carrying the Surface Line anytime soon. But I would be somewhat hesitant on their policy of enabling an upgrade.

Like if the MS stores were still open, if you brought in a Pro 5 in for replacement to a MS store in hopes of using the plan to get a Pro 6 (or ideally Pro 7), given the low chance of the physical store having any Pro 5 stock left at this point, almost certainly the MS physical store would likely use the stock they did have,and they would likey give you a Pro 6 (or 7) for the replacement. So hypothetically, if I brought in a Pro 5 to Best Buy now, having done the 2 -year geek squad protection, while I think it would be far more unlikely for a Best Buy to have Pro 5's, or even 6's left at this point....would they still replace my Pro 5 for a Pro 6/7, or would they ship it to Microsoft Store? (and they would almost certainly have a Pro 5 to send back)

But in the case if I bought a Pro 7 last October from Best But...got the 1-2 year plan, broke it today, if I couldn't get an instant replacement Pro 7 from a Best Buy today, then yeah....thats a crappy replacement plan they offer.

7. jangaru

jangaru Pen Pal - Newbie

Honestly with all the horror stories about devices being damaged on route (and vice versa) to MS, I rather be able to take my device to Best Buy or Costco (ideally) and have them check it over before it gets shipped and take care of shipping it. That would do a huge difference in terms for me feeling some peace of mind, over none with the current procedure.

Additionally, I wouldn't mind being able to change over to a Geek Squad protection plan or Costco one, that could have been the way for MS to sweeten the pot? Have my payment for Complete go into their "partners" pot of money.

DRTigerlilly likes this.