Microsoft to permanently closes all their stores

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Jun 26, 2020.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Wow, I forgot all about that! I really loved that WMC; thought I was the only one.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think that's because despite the best efforts of both Microsoft & Apple, whatever device they throw out to the public regardless of form factor will end up getting used as a laptop anyway. But prior to Covid I used to spend an obscene amount of time bouncing around coffee shops. Saw plenty of Surface Pros and Surface Books, always being used in laptop mode, not a once have I ever seen one in the wild being used in studio/art mode. Even with iPads, I would say 8/9 out of 10 times you see one in the wild, its attached to a keyboard cover/folio and being used as a make shift laptop. Some uses like an iPad being used as a point of sale device are somewhat the exception, and when I attended life drawing classes, then of course the iPads are being used purely as tablets. But the majority of use cases it will get used as a laptop.

But that's why I think the Yoga Style 2-in-1 has really taken off because its the best compromise of allowing the touch/pen centered tablet form factors if they are needed, but at the same time retaining the most practical laptop form for which it will get used for the majority of its use.

Its also probably easier from an engineering standpoint as well. Heck if Microsoft made the Surface Book a Yoga style 2-in-1 they could probably put more powerful cpu's in them. In case of the Book, its standalone clipboard capacity is what limits it.

3. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, on the other hand, it also allows the Book to have a more powerful gpu for an ultrabook.

My only caveat with 180/360 degree 2-1 laptops is their weight. If they can further lower that (say Surface Laptop 3 weight for 15 inch model) than they would be almost perfect, especially considering the bang for buck & serviceability is just better with those laptops.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's very true, when I have used the pro or go strictly in tablet mode in public places and even some customers, many think I'm ether using an iPad or ask "is that a new device?"

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well FWIW, the 2 in 1 yoga style is considerably easier to design and manufacture compared to the surface design. You can also much more easily move it to the lower end of the market by putting lower quality displays and keyboards as well as not worrying about the weight as much. For instance except for the highest yoga most of the 2 in 1 devices are north of the 3 pound weight mark

Never underestimate OEMs desire to under cut their competitors by a few bucks.

It's no to say that there are not some excellent 2 in 1 devies out there. The aforementioned Yoga's for example of HPs' Spectre X360 for example. But the majority are much more like HP's Pavilion x360 line (which are relatively speaking, cheap)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  6. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

It is, for those of us lucky enough to have been in one. At the retail location in Atlanta, kids who rode the subway out to the mall played video games in the corridor outside the store, which accounted for half the foot traffic through the store.

Another thing being conflated here is the emotional desire to see MS go toe to toe with Apple. Trouble is with 83 global MS stores vs 500+ Apple stores, it was never toe to toe. It was very expensive brand exposure. I suspect 50+% of the foot traffic in an Apple store is about the phones, and a lot of the rest is about the Genius Bar - both producing revenue. MS really had neither going on since quitting the phone business (*COUGH*). Who is primarily making money running stores on gaming consoles (see GameStop bankruptcy)?

So if you were running MS, would you:

a. put in 5 times the cash to actually reach the same number of people Apple reaches with it's stores (even without a comparable revenue model); or

b. take advantage of the pandemic to exit the physical retail channel (like all the bankruptcies of stores where we used to shop) and redirect that marketing money to new kick-@$$ content and channels?

Which brings us to source of the real lump in our guts: Fear that MS won't replace the stores with better marketing content/delivery.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Didn't they already do that once before...

And I didn't even go to the dancing school kids video...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  8. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Exhibit A.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Saw plenty of Surface Pros and Surface Books, always being used in laptop mode...>>

I would argue that is largely Microsoft's fault. I would argue that Windows in its current form only marginally supports tablet functionality and, in fact, makes anything other than laptop use pretty tedious. Even Windows 8, thought by many of us to be the zenith of windows tablet functionality, was really only an incremental step, albeit a fairly sizable one...

<<...You will notice that the OEM'S have seemed to walk away from the Surface Pro form factor...>>

Let me put some words in your mouth (hold still, dammit!). I think what you're really saying is that the Surface Pro form factor isn't the dominant portable form factor. But that's to be expected; as others here have pointed out, the laptop form factor is nearly ideal for most people's day to day use. the SP form factor is better suited to the ultra-mobile / tablet user, which we have always known is a niche group. Nonetheless, the Surface Pro influence has resulted in some really unique products. Case in point, my ZBook X2. At 4 pounds 14.4 ounces, this thing is hardly an ultra mobile device; more like portable. But it does everything that a more-than-decent laptop can do and everything a tablet can do. It has a screen that's big enough for CAD and a color gamut wide enough for art and photo editing. It's definitely a niche product, but I'm convinced that it wouldn't exist if Surface Pro hadn't shown the way.

<<...Which brings us to source of the real lump in our guts: Fear that MS won't replace the stores with better marketing content/delivery...>>

I call it dedication; others here have used the word consistency. Either way, it's the perception that Microsoft is like a weathervane, constantly turning in the wind. Cell phones, music players, apps; Microsoft seems to dabble, develop and then abandon. Granted, they've been good with the Surface line up to now, but their corporate history certainly doesn't make one confident about the long haul. It isn't about going toe to toe with Apple; it's about confidence that Microsoft has a plan, and that the hardware and applications that one comes to depend upon won't be orphaned tomorrow...

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

:D

Mesosphere, DRTigerlilly and Steve S like this.