Microsoft to permanently closes all their stores

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<... I don’t see how they could continue supporting those employees without relocating them... >>​

Actually... my son has held a "virtual presence" job for years, doing engineering and software integration for various companies that are predominantly located on the west coast (he lives in a large mid-western city). Except for occasional trips to maintain a physical presence, he does all his work remotely.

When he started all this, I was skeptical, to say the least; but it works for him and, as I said, he's been doing it for years. Interestingly, he gets paid a west coast salary, too. Good thing, because his spending habits are disgusting!

So, although I think that the (now) former store employees are likely on shaky ground, I also think that Microsoft might be able to fulfill their promise...​

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Since I started this hijack over in the SG2 thread, let me help correct it so we can focus solely on Surface Go 2 there. I am quoting some of the longer items and carrying them over to the this thread.

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

(Sorry, had to move your post over here, since we're trying 're-rail' the SG2 thread)

Sheesh! And I thought I was the one playing pessimist here. :p

If you notice though Jeff, I only criticized MS for one thing: their lack of long-term vision.

In terms of device innovation, I would say they've shown great ability and leadership. The Surface Pro, Book, Studio, and previewed Neo were distinct evolutions of the PC form-factor in a space that even Apple hasn't touched for over a decade.

Even in the OS space, I would say Windows 8 was a great leap forward in terms of transitioning to smooth, lightweight, responsive UX. MS showed they had a great ability to understand what needed to be done, how software needed to evolve.

The only problem is commitment.

A few people can't figure out the Win8 start menu, tweet up a storm, and the next thing you know they kill the whole OS and shun everyone who worked on it. They plan this grand public beta for Window 10X dual-screen devices of the future, making sure to seed many developers with Neo/Duo devices. Then COVID hits and they decide to scale-back 10X, delay (cancel?) the Neo, and close all their physical store permanently.

The problem isn't that Microsoft doesn't have the understanding and innovation⁠—they are often years ahead of the curve—it's just that they don't fully commit to anything long enough to see it bear fruit. They hit the reset button every 7 years hoping to jump on the next big thing, while Apple who's slower, less innovative, but more committed, happily hums along and eats their lunch.

It happened with Windows UMPC and the iPhone...with Tablet PCs and the iPad...and now, with desktop on ARM and MacOS.

Gah, I'm so depressed now....it's like living in a goddam time loop! :eek:

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Sorry, didn't even look back to see if others already had done so, but I thought Marty's excellent piece on this subject posted in the Surface Go2 thread (which had become the "feel free to talk about anything-Microsoft here" thread - thanks to @dstrauss for redirecting us :thumbsup:) deserved re-posting and accolades.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  5. lovelaptops

Superb Marty! From now on I will post very little (crowd roars), just reply to Marty's post with "what he said." Can I get "likes" for doing that?:p

nnthemperor, dstrauss and Marty like this.
  6. lovelaptops

So, who is the one so down on MS? Actually, I take back what I said about innovation, change that to tragically terrible execution! They rarely get anything right the first, second, third time, then once they do get it right, they kill it, change it, or support it poorly. As to form factor innovation, I only give credit to the Surface Pro - and splendid derivative Go/2 - because however impressive you find the Studio and Book, nobody ever found them important enough to emulate in the market, and few bought them (though I can't say about Studio, as I don't know how small a market for those devices there is to estimate whether they got a decent share of it.)

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Nooo! That would mean we would no longer get to read the ever-loquacious @lovelaptops replies.

I need my fix, or it would not be TPCR! :D

I literally dug myself into a depression with each line of that last reply... :p

lovelaptops and DRTigerlilly like this.
  8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

You will notice that the OEM'S have seemed to walk away from the Surface Pro form factor.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

lovelaptops likes this.
  9. lovelaptops

You just said that to get an extra like, right? Kinda made my night though, you old softee :hi:

So, I made your night?

She said that, not me! (@DRTigerlilly: please be mindful of Marty's tender heart. Take away the SP and what has he got to live for?:vbeek:)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    nnthemperor and Marty like this.
  10. lafester

lafester Scribbler - Standard Member

Let's not forget the media center / htpc software that had a huge following... And abandoned. Worked just fine into windows 10, even charging people extra for the upgrade before ditching it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

DRTigerlilly and lovelaptops like this.