Microsoft to permanently closes all their stores

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Jun 26, 2020.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Guilty I suppose - having read the Microsoft thread in the Apple forum then seeing this one it looked like people are seeing the death of Microsoft where it isn't going to happen.

MS have released Mac versions of Office before the Windows version in the past too - and they have never released ALL the Apps in the office suite for MacOS. Can't remember which one it is - Excel I believe is hampered unless you use it on a Windows machine.

For me - the Surface line will continue - even though I'll never buy one while it uses Ntrig.

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Honestly, I'm probably the same, even though the store was only about 1hr away.

I went in probably less than 10 times, and (except for a couple of times) the experience was so good, it left a lasting impression about the PC and tablet hardware as whole.

The idea of halo effect isn't that everyone directly experiences something, it's that enough experience that it builds into an atmosphere of excitement. Sure you (and I) may not have entered an MS Store every time a new Surface was released, but I bet you read posts from many people who did.

And did it not build hype for you? ;)

Mesosphere, Bronsky, Steve S and 2 others like this.
  3. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

Thanks for the fake news, and hyperbole.

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-closing-all-physical-stores-part-strategic-change
    Microsoft states that its retail team members "will continue to serve customers from Microsoft corporate facilities and remotely providing sales, training, and support." Microsoft will also continue to invest in its digital storefronts on its website as well as on Xbox consoles and Windows 10.

Microsoft highlights that since it closed physical stores in response to the current global pandemic, retail team members have helped small business and education customers with virtual training and customer support. Microsoft states that its "retail team members will serve consumers, small-business, education, and enterprise customers, while building a pipeline of talent with transferable skills."

CNBC's Todd Haselton reports that all employees from Microsoft Stores will have a chance to stay at Microsoft. A Microsoft spokesperson later confirmed this to us as well.
    Todd Haselton
    @robotodd

Microsoft spokesperson says all employees will have the opportunity to stay with Microsoft

-----------
    I would trust Microsoft anyday over some random person complaining about them.

They won't miss your business.

later

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

This is a smart move for Microsoft, and their online stores can adjust for sales.

Never needed to go to one, my Surface Pro 1, and 2, are still working perfectly,
    and have no signs of any issues with them. I will probably be getting a Surface Pro 3
    for free from a friend, but don't need it right now.

To me they are the pinnacle of their hardware lines, and won't be going anywhere,
    anytime soon.

later

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I'm certain it did build hype in my case. Although, I probably already had it on pre order too, so I was already sold =)

Still my feeling is that ~85 stores where social distancing was a regular natural occurrence (to borrow from @JoeS) didn't have much more than a marginal impact. My guess is the reveal events and traditional advertising followed by word of mouth would have mostly brought the surface line to a similar market share. That is not much more than a gut feel though. I could easily be wrong =)

JoeS likes this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Ironically the one time it made it difference for me it actually steered me away from Surface devices. At some point I was in the market for a new PC and I walked into a MS store. After two seconds of writing on a ThinkPad Yoga 12, I was reminded how much I like Wacom. :)

Mesosphere and DRTigerlilly like this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I commented in the Go 2 thread about this, but I think what you are seeing is a most definite divergence between two for the three biggest players in the personal device space.

Apples latest moves show they are betting more than ever on personal devices and making that experience the best it can be. It seems to me that MS is on the other hand focusing on software experiences (my feelings about MS tablet UI aside) with emphasis on MS software experience on any device anywhere.

I've heard that the MS stores were never profitable, (unlike the Apple Stores) but I seriously doubt that the costs of maintaining them was a significant factor since at worst the costs was little more than a rounding error in MS overall revenue.

It's possible and even probable that in the near term at least , both will be successful and creating yet another market duopoly. The X factor in this is Google as this approach sort of (along with Samsung) leaves them the odd man out. I wonder if Samsung sees this and if that is why they seem to be if anything upping the diversity of their personal device options so they aren't left in the cold by however the market shifts too.

I stand by my assertion that if nothing else, this is sort of a "no confidence" assertion on the Surface line of devices specifically. Which is odd and schizophrenic given the apparently imminent launch of the Duo. But also evidenced by the sidelining of the Neo. And it will impact sales of the surface device, not just at retail but at corporate. I know of multiple customer that did adopt surface devices in their enterprise that started that journey in a MS store.

And I fully realize that both Apple and Ms had a quite small share of what is commonly called the PC market. But I also believe that definition is rapidly becoming irrelevant.

My two cents for a Sunday morning

PS: I really hope that I'm wrong. Across the board, the surface line up are very good to excellent systems. And we walk that talk as the Go 2 and Pro are the default devices we provide for our own employees.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Smiley, JoeS and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Hardly. For decades, I have seen large corporations pull these sorts of job reclassification shenanigans hundreds of times and this is a key step in the path to layoffs. I would wager dollars to donuts that they will be given a severance package in a year or so from now and that will spell the end of their careers at Microsoft. Microsoft has adequate staffing who already fulfill their needs for the online operations of Microsoft Store so it is silly to expect them to continue paying for a boondoggle position for much longer.

In terms of optics and as a vote of no confidence as others have explained here, I strongly disagree.

efjay, darkmagistric and Marty like this.
  9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

And just in case anyone thinks this isn't much of a bet since Krispy Creme's regularly cost over a dollar, I like to think sonic is referring to the Canadian variety.

Up here when we think of donuts, we think of these guys...
    [​IMG]

which 20 can be had for 2 bucks, and that's Canadian loonies (so about a few cents American, or that what it feels likes whenever I buy tablets :p)

nnthemperor and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I find their claim of no one losing a job kind of suspect as well. Unless they plan on offering Eternal Remote jobs to all the staff, I don’t see how they could continue supporting those employees without relocating them. Given the mall/retail aspect of the Microsoft Store, most employees no doubt live in proximity to their mall/store and a drastic relocation may not. E viable for many. If Microsoft can only offer continued employment with the employee needing to be relocated, they could throw the blame of the employee losing their job solely on the employee for not wanting to relocate.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.