Microsoft to permanently closes all their stores

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Jun 26, 2020.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah the timing is awfully suspect. But not much of it should have been too much of a surprise for MS. Apple was rumored to be making that announcement for a while now, and with Microsoft readying Office for Mac on Arms, they clearly knew about it well before the announcement, Its not like they were blind sided by it. And while I'm not sure of the Pro-X's sales, their efforts at WOA being perceived as a failure thus far has been written on the wall for a while now.

The fact that they would do this at all, would indicate this action might have always been a real possibility for them. As much as I loved the store, it never had the crowds Apple gets. It really was more so selling the brand then the merchandise.

Ideally I like to think they would have held on for a while longer, like at least hold out for the 2020 back to school and holiday shopping season, but since Covid has left alot of that uncertain.....even at this point, they probably figured it would be easier to cut their losses.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

106113563_10158252275892976_3486986560300467228_n.jpg

sonichedgehog360 and lovelaptops like this.
  3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Microsoft only entered the hardware scene as they were frustrated at what vendors were offering as tablets and they have been successful at showing what could be offered.

I'm reading a LOT of gloom from Windows people about things but I think a lot of things have become conflated - Intel messed up and hasn't recovered from Zombie / Zombieload forcing chip slowdown and this naturally forced Apple to go to it's own ARM chip.

People suddenly reading the death of Windows / Microsoft seems a bit much or am I missing something here? There will always be power users and AMD Ryzen chips may satisfy that. Instead of looking at Apple - the Windows side of the tech landscape should look at what is good and works really well and make that work.

The Surface Pro X is out for sale and Microsoft surface products are the standard other Windows laptops are judged against.

There's lots of positives - Microsoft will respond to the market.
    And all this from an Apple user - I've seen all this kind of despair all 30 years I've owned and used Apple machines.

nnthemperor and daddyfish like this.
  4. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, nah I think you're right. I mean probably MS will lose some more market to chromebooks and maybe ipad pros but these transtition do not happen over one night and Windows laptop/pc market is so big that it is probably nothing more than a dent. People also seem to underestimated the growth of 2-1 laptops (quite ironically that W10 is installed on way more touchscreen computers than W8 ever was), which was a big win for MS I think. And while Apple makes really good hardware, it is just 1 company needed to compete with a whole bunch of laptop oems nowadays that upped their game (heck even gaming laptops become more camouflaged and more compact making them sort of direct competitors to macbook pros if the OS is not a dealbreaker).

Really interesting to see where all of this is heading though. :)

5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Exactly. HP, Lenovo and Dell sell around 55% of all laptops and Apple only account for around 8-9% so to predict the end of Windows just because Apple have dropped Intel is way over-reaction.

https://uk.pcmag.com/apple-ipad-201...r-hearts-tablets-and-desktops-lose-to-laptops

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Maybe advertising was the purpose, but I question how important that leg of the advertising campaign was. I see Surfaces everywhere these days on campus and around my research institute and I live 200 miles from the nearest MS store. I expect very few of those purchases were influenced by an MS store.

I agree it isn't an encouraging sign, and I feel for those that actually benefited from those physical stores. I'm not sure this on it's own though means much more than MS deciding the value of those stores just wasn't there (even after factoring in the advertising value).

Regarding the links people are drawing between this and Apple ditching Intel, how does this effect MS or Surface? I am not plugged into this world like I used to be, so I'm probably just missing something obvious.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    nnthemperor likes this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...People suddenly reading the death of Windows / Microsoft seems a bit much or am I missing something here?..>>

Speaking about conflation, I think two issues are being confused here. The death of Windows is one thing, and in that regard, Microsoft's recent history could easily make one doubt the company's dedication to growing and strengthening its OS. Fielding Office suite improvements for Apple before Windows is certainly an example. A growing history of buggy and seemingly haphazard OS updates is another.

However, the beginning of this thread was about marginalizing the brand presence of Surface products. That's a different subject. The physical stores were the best place to see, handle and talk about Surface products. By comparison, Best Buy, Micro Center and other retailers were at best only a partial experience. Have you ever seen a Surface Studio or Hub in one of these stores? Me neither; but you only really "get" the impact of the Studio if you see it in real life. Internet reviews are a hollow substitute.

As limited as they were, the physical Microsoft stores brought Surface products up close and personal to many more people, and that's why the store closures are a thing to be mourned...

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but the service I received for my first purchase of a Surface Pro 1, was so extraordinarily good, it forever put the Surface on the map for me as one of the premiere tablet PCs to get.

Every I time I walked into an MS Store, I got those positive vibes. The layout and presentation of new Windows hardware was in a league of its own, compared to the dingy, haphazard display booths in most Best Buy and Staples computer sections (BB has improved, but still nowhere near the class of the MS Store).

The feeling of handling Surfaces and talking with MS reps was such a nice experience, that I regularly entered the MS Store just to bask in the 'goodness' of the PC environment (finally something to match the Apple Store, for the hardware I love!). I would always get charged up and often write on the forums afterwards.

So it is a huge loss for me, that will definitely affect my purchases and my recommendations for friends and family.

darkmagistric and DRTigerlilly like this.
  9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I too enjoyed the experience every time a walked into an MS store. The problem is it would only take one (maybe two) of my hands too count the number of times I have walked into one. I suspect there are many surface owners for whom this is true including most of the people in my area who own one.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Watch for ANY announcement on the Neo - a further delay or heaven forbid a lame Coronavirus excuse for suspending development will prove up @darkmagistric and others feeling that the days of Surface hardware are severely numbered. Look @Marty ’s timeline above - ten days that will live in infamy...

nnthemperor and DRTigerlilly like this.