Microsoft to permanently closes all their stores

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Since they're already closed, might as well not open them if that was the plan anyway. So, I guess you're right. Still, it's stupid plan if you ask me (which no one at Microsoft did). Happy to hear that the New York store might remain open. It's a short hop on NJ Transit to Penn Station. My guess is that the Manhatten store will not be as responsive as the Delaware store was (New Yorkers and all:vbrolleyes:).

darkmagistric and nnthemperor like this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sure, if you're looking at it from a retail perspective. But where I think a lot of people have a misconception is, MS Stores somehow are there to generate sales profits.

No! They are there for brand presence (to instill long-term consumer familiarity and confidence in Windows-based hardware). I would not be surprised if most MS Stores have been operating at a loss since day 1. The cost of MS Stores has always been an advertising cost, not retail cost.

By closing their physical stores, MS is not so much saying that "it's costing us too much", they're saying "we don't see value in advertising Windows hardware anymore". That is what's so heartbreaking about all this.

It's basically marking the sunsetting of all of Surface as a priority for Microsoft. :(

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Hey, even if that's true (not sure about that), there's still several major vendors making very nice "penabled" devices that I can get excited about. Let's just hope those guys step up to the plate.

Mesosphere likes this.
  4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

An MS employee on the verge Post said as much... They don't break even

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

This one deserves two likes!

6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Absolutely cackled!

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.
  7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, I get it from a financial aspect but for a brand awareness thing it seems dumb.

But most of all I will miss the service/support. Microsoft's phone and online store customer service is just awful. Every time I've gone into a store for support, it's been a great experience.

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think this is awful news.....I’m so upset by this. Mainly because I valued the Surface Protection Plan and being able to go to the store with a broken surface and walk out with a new one. Having to pack and ship stuff is such a hassle and takes a lot more time. And when upgrading to a new device, their Surface Trade-in service usually gave you a better price value compared to other stores like Best Buy.

And although their non-Surface selection has been skimp as of late, it was a cool place to test out devices you typically wouldn’t see in a Best Buy, or hands on try out a VR headset. Also these stores were created to showcase the surface brand of products. Not having the physical stores anymore will be a blow to the Surface brand since the brand always had the stores.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the next step would be for Microsoft to get out of hardware completely and abandon the Surface line altogether. The Gesture of closing down the physical stores would be the natural prelude to that.

dstrauss and DRTigerlilly like this.
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

So lame. So sad.

Microsoft has less fortitude than a soggy noodle.

<<...they're saying "we don't see value in advertising Windows hardware anymore"...>>

Right on the money, in my opinion.

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm sure this is allll just coincidental...but the optics just look so terrible:

June 16: MS releases a statement to the Verge, "Our approach for re-opening Microsoft Store locations is measured and cautious, guided by monitoring global data, listening to public health and safety experts, and tracking local government restrictions..."

June 22: WWDC happens and Cook drops the A(pple silicon)-bomb...

June 23-24: The tech media begin the rounds criticizing MS for failing the Windows on Arm transition. Thurrott & Co. lay on some extra thrashing, saying MS is really just a cloud company.

June 26: MS announces they are closing all physical stores??? o_O

Who the f* is managing Microsoft PR???!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020