Microsoft teases it's new dual screen device

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by jnjroach, Jun 3, 2019.

1. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

With all the folding, dual screen, and even one-and-a-half screen devices being announced right and left, if Microsoft finally officially brings a dual-screen out in six months it will be a total yawner. Nothing to differentiate it in the marketplace at all. Unless it had Courier-like software or something to set it apart.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

If you never fold a folding device, does it exist?

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If it were the Microsoft Courier it would be...witness 2009 design brilliance...

And what the Surface Note should be TODAY...

This was not only ahead of its time for 2009, it is ahead of what anything Windows can do NOW. Hell, it is still ahead of some of the things Apple can do on the iPad Pro - BTW, did you know that the first iPad was released 8 months AFTER this video (did you notice how pages in the journal curl and open just like the mighty iPad of eight months later). This design would be just as fresh today as it was TEN YEARS AGO (before hardware could possibly achieve all of that).

PS - sorry for gushing so much, but did you also notice how they handled the gap between the pages - it is a dock for collecting items before you need to open a new page on the opposite side to drag them to - a pause button of sorts.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    YVerloc, nnthemperor and Marty like this.
  4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No, you're totally right. There's tons of innovation gestures and a true pen/touch driven UI in that vid. Something I really wished the current Win10 "tablet mode" would have evolved into.

What I don't get is why MS didn't release the Courier interface as a UWP app (maybe as a "Microsoft Garage Project" like Plumago).

You don't need dual screens per se, since the Courier unfolded is only about the size of the SP 12.5" screen. You could have the exact same innovative interface, just with a software "page crease" instead.

I could see a lot of students/designers falling in love with the Surfaces over that one app. :)

...and strauss my man, never apologize for your gushing! :D

WillAdams, bloodycape and nnthemperor like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

THAT! I swear to the almighty that this would be another Mojave moment - just show that video with an Apple logo in the corner and college students, heck the whole Apple-loving fanboy universe, would go beserk! I'd give my bank account for someone to load that and run it at the start of the next Apple event - the crowd would give it a standing - O...

Bronsky likes this.
  6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Kind of related device, and they seem pretty hyped on dual displays.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It looks thicker than my old Acer 3820TG. What's he so excited about?:vbcool:

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Courier.jpg

Updated for clarity: I tried to watch this, but I couldn't finish it. It's INFURIATING that Microsoft was thinking about these software / UI features ten years ago and never actually offered it to their tablet customer base. Who knows where they would be today if they had...???

dstrauss, Bronsky and nnthemperor like this.
  9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Demos are easy, working products are hard --- for pen apps in the Microsoft Garage there's Plumbago.app --- are folks using that and providing feedback and making feature requests?

I gave up on it when I bought Nebo.app when it was on sale.

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Demos are easy, working products are hard...>>

Quite right. I should have been a little clearer in my comment; I was only talking about the software features and UI, not the hardware. Software's no picnic, I know, but look at the state of touch and pen features today in Win10...

Went back and touched up my earlier posting