Microsoft teases it's new dual screen device

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by jnjroach, Jun 3, 2019.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I still think there's a use case for a folding 13" device if the bezel between the screens is very narrow that the screens seem to join. Imagine holding a 9" device that opens up to 13"?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

2. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Would be cool. Would it beat the 12.9 inch ipad pro though, which would probably be lighter?

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No matter how light the device is, a 12" would not fit in a small messenger bag, so it would still not be portable.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

4. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Ive been thunking about it too. I dont have an answer, but im wondering...is it possible to make a seam between a pair of glass screens so thin, and to design a hinge that positions the screens so accurately that it is effectively a continuous screen, even whilst drawing? Or maybe not some kind of uber hinge but a sloppy hinge and accurately placed magnets to force alignment?

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...is it possible to make...>>

...Either approach is a possibility, depending in part on the screen technology which would determine just how "seamlessly" the two displays could be aligned. (Personally, I think that there would always have to be a narrow seam/gap between the two displays.)

But I keep coming back to the folded size of Centaurus, because to me that's the critical issue. I calculated that one of the screens would be 5" x 7.5" (diagonal of 9"). So that would be the absolute minimum size of a folded Centaurus. That's still kind of big, even for a coat pocket. So what's the use case that Microsoft is proposing for this device? I don't know...

6. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Cargo shorts are going to come back in style.
    Not that they ever went out of style, mind you.

It is a strange size, yeah. For use as a mini laptop, the bottom screen will have a virtual keyboard, but im speculating that the device will also have a keyboard cover that will lock in place on top of the bottom screen for when folks want physical keys. Just guessing. If they were determined to supply a physical typing mode to hedge their bets that might explain giving up pocketability.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

No - it could be 4x6 with 0.2" bezels, but what do I know (still too wide but not too tall by modern standards)

Microsoft teases it's new dual screen device

Guess my recent dalliances with the iPad Pro 11 have dulled my Windows tablet credibility...

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...it could be 4x6 with 0.2" bezels...>>

...Not if the diagonal measurement is supposed to be 9" (and it was suggested that it was a 9" screen, not an overall measurement). Your dimensions would only be 7.8".

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Unfolded my 4x6 would be 8x6 which would be 8.9443" on the diagonal? My real mis-calc is the bezels would need to be less than 0.2"

My argument is that I think the pundits are wrong that it will be two 9" screens - it will be a single (unfolded) 9" screen - why in heavens name would they duplicate the Surface Pro size screen in a folding device, ostensibly with WOA - surely this has to be Panos' 3rd (or more) try at a Surface Mini...

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Perhaps they partnered up with J. Crew and will bundle it with one of those safari vests with a huge pocket that precisely for the device?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk