Microsoft teases it's new dual screen device

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by jnjroach, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Offered by Microsoft? Not Apple?

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Offered by Microsoft?..>>

…Look in the Store.

3. Steve S

This item ran yesterday, and I ordinarily wouldn't have posted it (old news) but the illustration provoked some thoughts on my part:

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsofts-foldable-device-is-said-to-run-android-apps-launch-next-year

Pix.JPG
    If you examine this sketch from an earlier Microsoft patent, a few questions arise. First, the hinge appears to possibly limit the angle to which the device can be opened. If true, this would not provide a Courier-like experience; it would be a laptop. Second, the two halves appear to be relatively thick; that would be somewhat disappointing and would be sure to affect the perception of "pocketability." Third, there is the curious "control logic" on the lower edge; what is that supposed to imply?

However, the question that I really ponder is: why does Centaurus fold at all? If it is too big (or too thick) to conveniently pocket, what's the point? If what we know so far is accurate, the Centaurus laid flat would be size of the Surface Pro, and that's a well-accepted size. Why go to the trouble of the fold if you are using two separate screens as opposed to a continuous screen? There's something about the logic of Centaurus that I don't get...

Finally, I know how patents and patent illustrations work, so don't bother with comments about how you can't take them literally. I know that. I'm simply framing a discussion, and the illustration was convenient to do that...

YVerloc, nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

1. See my thoughts on the single folding 9" screen Microsoft teases it's new dual screen device
    2. As for why "two separate screens" because a truly foldable glass substrate screen is years away and I think they can get very close to seamless with their hinge technology. These plastic screen folding devices are going to inherently bulge/sag at the fold, and be scratch magnets for even particles of dust under your stylus nib - remember the early Palms...

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

@Steve S As for the "why so thick" question, there's no need to reveal your actual industrial design to the competitors in a patent. The figures just need to illustrate the concepts. It's pretty common for the drawings to look a little clunky.

6. Steve S

<<...As for why "two separate screens" because a truly foldable glass substrate screen is years away...>>

...Not relevant to my point. Read what I wrote.

<<...As for the "why so thick" question...The figures just need to illustrate the concepts...>>

...Read what I wrote: "...don't bother with comments about how you can't take [patents] literally. I know that..."

Again, my point is that no matter how much I think about it, I don't see any compelling reason why the Centaurus should fold. Unless it's really a laptop.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Oh sorry, I hadn’t seen that you already answered your own question :D

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

So you were being rhetorical - sorry for missing that. I still think my response is relevant - it won't be two 9" screens but a single folding 9" 4x3 screen - and believe it will be near phone (say 1.5x iPhones) when folded.

9. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

I guess we’ll have to wait and see on that. But if it’s two 9” screens I’m with @Steve S in wondering why it folds at all. I don’t get it either.

10. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd rather just have a better SG2

On the other hand, Windows devices has to keep up with folding screen devices in case there is a compelling reason to get them down the line. All of us scratching our heads though on why folding screens would matter for anything but a phone.

Galaxy Fold
    "You can now put a tablet in your pocket!"

Centaurus
    "You can now stuff a dual 9 inch screen into your purse!"

Lenovo Folding big tablet!
    "Bedtime storybook on steroids!"

One of these use cases is compelling.

Yeah, I just want a SG2. If we can get it's specs up to like a SP5 level, that'd be great.

Would I want a foldable SG2? Well, I still would not be able to put it in my pocket. Maybe a really big jacket pocket.