Microsoft Surface tablet (Windows 8, Core i5 IvyBridge)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by hp79, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

My guess is more like $450 for the low end RT and $550 for the high end, and $900 for low end Pro and $1000 for high end.

With the new iPad starting at $499, Microsoft has no chance if they can't get the price below that. And honestly? It's going to be a tough sell against the iPad 2 at $399 even if it's THAT cheap. People know the iPad, they know people who have one, they know what it can do. Microsoft has much more of an uphill battle trying to compete with a clear market leader here. If it's $500 or above, they might as well not even try.

Don't get me wrong, for me personally, I'd much rather have the Surface Pro, but that's not going to be how the public will think.

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Remember that the $499 iPad 3 and the $399 iPad 2 have 16 GB. If you want 32 GB storage, the cheapest option is the $599 iPad 3. Throw in a $50 Smart Cover and a $70 keyboard and your iPad is now over $700. The Surface RT has 32 GB and Microsoft Office. If a Touch Cover keyboard/cover is included, and Microsoft does a good job explaining that a similarly-equipped iPad 3 costs nearly $750, I think $599 could work.

Remember that it's not Surface or nothing. Asus revealed the Tablet 600, a less-luxurious, less-premium Windows RT tablet at Computex, and rumors are that several other manufacturers will also release them. I see these models falling in the $399-$499 range, with the Surface being the luxurious "halo" product.

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

No chance of what, exactly?

This sounds just like the discussion that went on prior to the launch of the Slate 500, the Q550, and the HP Touchpad. Apple pricing is OBSCENE for what the iPad does.

I predict that there will not be a windows machine of any variety that can de-throne the iPad for market leading dominance and there should not be any projections that it will. Is this the 'no chance' you predict?

My only beef with the whole surface previews seen so far are that they are marketing it like a big toy just like the iPad. They show us how it can manipulate photos of your vacation, how to access Facebook and Twitter, share your music with email, watch movies streaming from the cloud, etc. What they do not show is how it will do REAL WORK. As a consequence, IT managers everywhere are wringing their hands saying 'I don't want my workers doing any of those things so, no, I will not buy them.' We know based on the specs that it will do work just fine but come on, show us the pen in action...

As long as companies stick with the marketing and production longer than the HP Touchpad without dillusions of dethroning Apple in the first year things should be fine. I would say yes, they have a 'chance.'

On the pricing I see the $499 as the price of entry for doing your email, web browsing, and access to the social network of choice. Anything the Surface (or any Win 7/8 device) can do beyond that is added value and should be worth more. How much more depends on the individual. In the Fujitsu forum I posted a note a while back that showed that the $850 for a Q550 was a bargain for what it is capable of doing. If people do not need to do anything beyond the simple tasks noted above and will not be making large spreadsheets, writing in Word, putting Project files together, etc., then I have 2 comments:

1. Don't buy a Windows machine or at least just get the RT model
    2. You shouldn't be spending $499 for a device that just does email, web browsing, and Facebook anyway. Put the iPad dreams aside for a while, get off the couch, and go spend $275 on a SCUBA CLASS and DO SOMETHING. You can use the rest of the money you did not spend on the iPad for an airline ticket to the Florida Keys and have something to tell people on Twitter besides tagging where you are today.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  4. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As an I.T. manager who knows that people outside of work view facebook and stream stuff from youtube, personally, I cannot wait for RT to... 'surface'. ba haa haa (Sorry). Then there will be no reason for anyone here to want the ipad. I tried to keep them away but Directors overrule managers :(. I did grumble a lot but people want their toys.

Microsoft just need a few applications/games that people REALLY want and the gossip will grow as will the sales.

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Honestly, I don't think that matters to most people. It's all about the initial barrier to entry. Obviously, it's completely anecdotal, but most non-technical people I know just ask "is that big" when presented with something like "it has only 16GB of storage."

No chance whatsoever of becoming a mainstream device. Sure, it sounds similar to all three of those. And the fact is that none of those have been successful in the mainstream in the slightest. Not a single one of those devices (or probably even all three combined) sells enough to be a blip on the radar of iPad sales.

To use the example of the HP Touchpad, I absolutely loved webOS phones at the time of the Touchpad release, and had the Touchpad before 99% of people did, and I could've predicted then that it would be a failure for that price. It was only when they did the firesale and dumped the things for $100 that anyone had any interest in it, and even then most people just bought them to throw Android on it.

Whether you like it or not, the iPad is the enormous elephant in the room. People are already locked into the iTunes ecosystem, whether it's from video, music, or apps. While I have no doubt that there will be exponential growth in the Windows Store, the fact of the matter is that on Day 1, you won't have the applications that the iPad has. Everything comes out on iOS first, and then you have to hope that they're released on other platforms. On top of that, iOS has enormous mindshare right now, and still has the 'cool' factor, which doesn't matter so much to us, but matters to a large segment of the population.

I personally can't stand the iPad or Android on a tablet myself, and I do think that its capabilities in actually getting things done are vastly inferior.

However, the opinions of a bunch of users on a forum that's mostly dedicated to Microsoft's old Tablet PCs is probably about as far from the mainstream as you can get. It's going to be extremely difficult to convince someone, "Oh, you know that iPad you want? Get this instead."

That's only made more difficult by competing head-on on price, ESPECIALLY when the difference between the Surface (RT's) 1366x768 resolution and the new iPad's 2048x1536 is immediately visible to anyone looking at the things. Moreover, with the RT, you don't even have the benefit of convincing anyone by saying it can run all of those Windows programs that you're used to on top of the new stuff.

I hope I'm wrong, because the Surface is a better device as far as I'm concerned. I just really don't see that being the case, unless they undercut on price.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

"Slate 500, the Q550, and the HP Touchpad" - None of those appeared on the Dixons shop floor here in the UK so as far as the general consumer is concerned... they didn't exist. (The Playbook is the one that people probably remember if anything)

Surface 'should' be different

7. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Regarding the Surface's pricing. Based on Tablet PCs of last year, and the few of this year, it's very unlikely anyone will sell a paper-thin detachable full of ports with an i5 CPU for less than $1,000. Especially employing new materials and bleeding-edge technology. To my mind, if Microsoft sells the Surface Pro with the keyboard for less than a grand, they will knowingly take a big financial loss. And, in the process, they would piss off the OEMs. So my guess is, the cheapest Surface Pro model will sell for $1,200.

I prefer the word "imoral".

Funny you say that! That's exactly what I tell my friends and relatives when I see them treating clothes and gadgets as quickly-disposable goods. A trip is always a great investment and the narcissism that is permeating the internet sucks.

I agree with everything there.

8. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Scribbler - Standard Member

Unless an iPad user is also a Mac user, they will own a PC.

The difference in capabilieis between their PC/Laptop and their iPad is well-known.

Show them the ThinkPad Tablet 2, Surface or other and the light will turn on that these are devices that cover both spectrums and are more than just a wifi phone with a big screen.

9. acorn

acorn Weeeeeeeee

i watched the video but maybe i missed it. It showed the pen and it being used but i didnt get any info how much pressure it has. does it have pressure and how many levels.

10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Nobody knows the details right now re: pressure. I'm sure the pen will be pressure sensitive-- everyone that has a pen has that now. What we don't even know is if its Wacom or some new MS pen tech. If it's Wacom though, it'll be 256 levels like all the other tablet pcs. More than good enough for all the digital art I do on a tablet pc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.