Microsoft Surface tablet (Windows 8, Core i5 IvyBridge)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by hp79, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

For the lost decade, there have been a lot of myths, fallacies, misconceptions and outright mischaracterizations surrounding Tablet PCs. Little of what has been made in the last couple years is truly new or innovative. Mostly, we are experiencing a quick process of indoctrination and change in public's perception. It's the re-invention of the wheel.

2. 123Fels

123Fels Pen Pal - Newbie

I am concvinced that the magnetic charging connector first af all has the function of charging the tablet - so i think that based on this info it is not safe that it is also a epen charger. Just look at the design and at the number of Pins or see here: Microsoft Surface tablet might use a proprietary power connector, similar to Apple's MagSafe . I think the clicking in is a side effect. But maybe charging the pen is also a side effect...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  3. seraphsword

seraphsword Pen Pal - Newbie

The "magnetic" part is a little worrying, when it comes to the prospect of pressure sensitivity. Magnets and digitizers don't usually play nice. That's why a lot of Tablet PCs can't have magnetic covers. Or at least that's my understanding. If it is pressure sensitive, that would make it a lot more interesting, though that would depend on the price point. If it's $1000+ you might be able to get a bigger, better screen for the same price if Samsung or Asus update their hardware around the same time.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...i think that based on this info it is not safe that it is also a epen charger...>>

...However, Engadget (courtesy of a find by forum member e-schreiber) has "broken the code," so to speak:

Microsoft to acquire Perceptive Pixel, pair up with 82-inch touchscreen manufacturer -- Engadget

The Surface used a Perceptive Pixel pen and touch screen with companion battery-operated pen. Reading on the PP website, one finds very similar product features as those mentioned by Microsoft during their show-and-tell event. The baseline PP pen is claimed to be good for a week on a charge. Given that, it would appear that the "does it charge" discussion is resolved... it does.

HOWEVER... It remains to be seen if the PP digitizer will be carried over into production. And I find it a little worrisome that Microsoft is going to try to field an unfamiliar system, in high-volume production, in about six months... or so they claim.

This will be interesting to watch. I wouldn't be planning to sell my Series 7 Slate just yet...

5. hp79

hp79 Scribbler - Standard Member

I also agree with 123Fels. I think that blog is making a big assumption that ms is using their new PP tech on Surface, which could still be a lab research. So the actual pen could be a plain wacom. When I first watched the video, I understood it as the pen is held by a magnet where the tablet charger plugs in, and not as the pen being rechargable. But if it indeed PerceptivePixel pen, I would welcome it more than wacom.

I ordered a x230t because the price was so good to pass, but if there are any build quality problem I'll be sending it back and for sure try the Surface Pro at launch.

6. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

i wonder if there will be an i7 version released later on?

also, as cool as the keyboard cover is.. i would think
    a keyboard with a slice type battery in it would be a
    lot more useful to extend the battery life.

other than that, it looks very promising.

later

7. hajensen

hajensen Pen Pal - Newbie

I am so happy that MS has released the hardware I have been waiting for since I had my first tablet back in 2003, the Acer 110... iPad-formsize, windows applications, keyboard and pen for my OneNote-notebooks back to 2004 is the best choice for brain-workers who actually produce something, not just reading and consuming media:D

I had some expectations for the Yoga, but without pen it is worthless for me... Although I am excited to see if Surface gets Lenovo to think new for future X-series.

Thanks, Henrik

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Are you really that sold on the surface? The Surface is clearly in the running for my next tablet but the S7H is neck-and-neck. I'm not sure if I prefer the fold-down cover keyboard or the clamshell base. The Surface seems to incorporate the more cutting-edge technology which would tend to make me wait-out the initial release, unless identical hardware, like the new pen design, is incorporated into the RT version. I do prefer the smaller display over the samsung's 11.6".

9. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

If my memory serves:

• both have full-size USB and HDMI.
    • both use i5 CPUs with integrated graphics.
    • they'll likely have the same resolution.
    • both are detachables.
    • both are thin enough to cause paper cuts.

Important unknowns to me:

• durability (thinness and fragility are twin sisters)
    • ability to tilt the slate for/backward when docked.
    • quality of Digitizer Pen on the Surface.
    • presence of a Pen silo on Surface.

I'm too distracted, so the lack of a silo would mean the loss of dozens of pens plus weeks of productivity in the lifetime of the tablet. As it is now, the Samsung S7H looks better. However, if by IFA next month, Samsung is still displaying the device behind a glass, it will be unlikely to see it in stores by Xmas. And if they rush it, they will surely screw it up.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Personally for me, I'm just so turned off by the build quality on the original Samsung Series 7 I had that anything else that fits my needs I'll consider before it.

As for one of your unknowns though, it's almost definite that the Surface Pro won't have a pen silo. They demonstrated that you could magnetically clip it against the charging port, which seems like something they wouldn't mention if there was a silo.

My other thought on the matter is that a Microsoft tablet is much more likely to take full advantage of all the functionality Windows 8 features, including hopefully GPS even in a non-3G model. But of course, that's just speculation that we won't know for a few months.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.