Microsoft Surface RT or Motorola Xoom?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by jm2c, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jm2c

jm2c Pen Pal - Newbie

I can get either for free.

I've played with both of them and can't decide. I'd use it only for browsing, email and apps. I don't really care about the app gap.

The Surface RT seems to be a bit slower despite having a better processor. The Xoom seems to be pretty snappy despite its age.

The Xoom looks like its stuck on an older Android version and no longer gets any official OS updates. I'm also not going to root or flash a different ROM on it, just use it as-is.

The Surface RT, from what I understand will get some kind of update when Windows 10 comes out, but it won't be Windows 10.

What would you choose?

2. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

Go for the Surface RT.

Windows RT has one of the best browsing experiences since Internet Explorer supports Flash and more-or-less works with a majority of websites.

Also, the RT has a full-sized USB port. It might not sound that impressive, but you'll definitely miss having one when you want to do something as simple as transferring files.

Plus, you buy a Type Cover 2 from Best Buy for $80 right now.

The Touch and Type Covers 1 & 2 will work and fit with the original RT. Unfortunately, the Power Cover will not. I've tried.

3. calden

calden Pen Pal - Newbie

4. cookies4you

5. calden

calden Pen Pal - Newbie

Flashing a Xoom is actually very easy, you just download the .zip file, boot into the recovery and flash, takes all of 5 minutes. I think he's just afraid to attempt it, I posted the link so he could read just how easy it actually is. I had a Surface RT, a very laggy system, so much so that I returned it after only 4 days. The Xoom though fairly old is still fairly peppy when Android 4.4.2 or higher is installed. Just my two cents.

6. cookies4you

I own a Surface RT.

It's laggy out of the box, but once you update it, everything smooths out.

7. Konici

Konici Pen Pal - Newbie

I can also recommend you the Surface RT. Didn't have any problems with it once I did update it.

8. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

And the Xoom not? The Xoom was the first Android tablet ever released. Specs wise it has a lot of catch up to do against the RT.

I'd go for the RT as well. Enjoy

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.