Microsoft Surface Pro gaming performance and benchmarks

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by stefan1126, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Scribbler - Standard Member

If the Razer edge Pro had a higher resolution and an active digitizer, I would strongly consider getting rid of my Pro for it. My steam backlog is so huge and I barely have time to play all my games. I just can't see myself paying $1500+ for a tablet with a 1366 screen...

2. Deathangel

Deathangel Scribbler - Standard Member

I will probably get the former, but never the latter. This is a gaming product, pure and simple. :) A pity, though. :/

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I think for such a tiny device, (10.1") 1366 x 768 was a good move. It's HD, and I think the 1920 x 1080 on such a small physical screen is overkill and makes stuff waaaay too tiny!
    I think any bigger though, and this might as well be a gaming laptop.

My ideal device would be a combination of this thing and the T902. If you gave me a 12.5" - 13.3" 1920 x 1080 IPS wacom penabled/multi-touch screen with dedicated GPU and full power processor in a slim convertible or detachable slate, I would poop myself.

If all you need is touch (not pen), and you are a gamer and also looking for a mobile laptop replacement I think the Razer fits the bill nicely. More bang for your buck than the Surface gives (if you aren't gonna use the pen.)

4. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Scribbler - Standard Member

Unfortunately, I need the active digitizer since I'm a student and I write all my notes in onenote. I can understand why Razer left out the digitizer but I think they put the low res screen in so that games would get higher FPS. I still would like to get my hands on one to test out the performance and heat.

5. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

This.

Plus, the option to run on integrated graphics and throttled CPU when on battery, for that elusive 10-hour battery life all them Atom users pursue. Basically, something that can 'transform' like the Helix, but even better specs and without needing a 2-lb dock to do it.

How much do you think you would pay for something like that? $3000? $4000? More?

6. TheMarkness

TheMarkness Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wanted to update anyone interested in speed / benchmarks with the posted 15.31.3055 driver package (beta).

Crysis 3 @ 1024x576 (576p 16:9) runs an average of 30fps with my custom config file. In multiplayer I pull an average of 40fps in most cases never dipping below 30fps.

Battlefield 3 @ 1024x576 (576p 16:9) runs an average of 30fps with my custom config file. In multiplayer I pull an average of 35-40fps and sometimes higher on CQ maps (Close Quarters).

Extremely impressed with the results. This thing is very capable considering it's primary function is a work horse PC and a moderate tablet. It's nice to have something in such a small package that replaces the iPad but at the same time replaces all my other portable devices for work, and on top of that plays the latest games in a satisfactory manner.

7. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How do these results compare to previous tests?

8. TheMarkness

TheMarkness Pen Pal - Newbie

Much better. Before Crysis 3 struggled to keep 25 FPS average @ 800x600 with my custom config file, same for Battlefield 3 it struggled to keep 25 FPS average @ 800x600. So jumping to a 16:9 resolution, gained 4-5 frames average and also was able to add a little more detail on some settings without loosing frames is a win win.

Coming from the beginning of this tablet back in February it's come dramatically forward in performance with the firmware fix from Microsoft along with the new slew of Haswell / Ivy Bridge beta drivers. I can honestly game pretty well on this thing as it sits now. Been playing Bioshock Infinite @ 1280x720p 30+ FPS average with a mix of low / medium settings.

9. efjay

Thanks, that's good to hear, so we wont feel too left behind when Haswell devices start shipping. :)

10. efjay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.