Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Review

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Jamison Cush, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamison Cush

Jamison Cush TechnologyGuide Editor Staff Member

Thanks for point that out. I'm kicking myself for overlooking that option. Anyway, I've edited the review to reflect the change.

2. Jamison Cush

Jamison Cush TechnologyGuide Editor Staff Member

You can still purchase older Win 8.1 tablets with Office preloaded, like the Dell Venue 8 Pro.

3. abackbone

abackbone Pen Pal - Newbie

" Oh, i'm sorry '(insert name / title of person)', I can't continue (insert task name), my pen (crayon) has run out of battery." unquote.

I seriously thought we were past these idiotic N-Trig pens, beg your pardon, crayons. My HP Slate500 had one. Perfectly good device ( now is my mum's desktop hybrid), but the pen, sorry, crayon IS useless. Not only was that one noisy, inaccurate and uncomfortable, the battery lasted maybe a week when trying to do uni notes. Know what doesn't quit. A Wacom pen!

I am surprised at Microsoft for lusting after that last 1mm of thinness. Weight is probably important, especially in this size, but at the very least, don't call anything with an N-Trig pen 'Pro'. How many batteries of how many varieties must I carry around to have continuous inking wherever I go? Does your newsagent or supermarket sell AAAA batteries? None of mine do. I special ordered them for a while. Then I just bought an ASUS VivoTab TF810C. Marvellous device. I was shocked at how effective the new Atom is and how well Windows 8 manages 2GB of ram..

...And whilst I do lust after 'The One To Rule Them All', I think it will be a Surface Pro 2, 256GB, 8GB ram. Enough computer for 90% of everything I do. And a brilliant pen! The people they seem to be targeting these all powerful devices at are the kinds that like to write with their expensive pens. Not the kind you should hand a digital crayon and say, "Here, it's the finest we have!" I am looking forward to pen mods and custom pens. Seriously, someone should look at doing a Mont Blanc style N-Trig pen, so a AA battery can be jammed in there, or better yet, a USB rechargeable pen.

Or we could just go on using Wacom's perfectly good pens.

4. azaniramsan

azaniramsan Pen Pal - Newbie

Not a failed marketing imho. There are expensive tablets without any performance at all for power user such as galaxy note, ipad, you name it; yet people still buying it. People buys the hype instead of actual performance. What most laptop users do ? facebook and microsoft office.

--

I think this tablet is perfect you know, a true portable machine with 8 hours++ battery life. I definitely going to buy this, install bluestacks and play all my favourite android games and read ebooks (gonna sell my nexus) while in train/car, replace my old combat proven i3 lenovo, buy docking station and hook up multiple monitors for my work environment and hook up a mechanical keyboard as I did with old lenovo. There, all in one device while increasing my productivity. I don't see why i5, SSD and 8gigs are not enough for power user. Moreover, its lighter than previous generation, make it comfortable to carry with for meeting with my clients.

For heavy applications such as 3d render, 10k++ resolution photo retouch, etc, I'd switch to my desktop battlestation + cintiq rather than investing for high-end laptops (I could get 3 - 6 times more performance for same price as high-end laptops).

--

For most artist who complain of "why not wacom ? why only 256 levels", I think they have not used their tablets to its limit until now. I tried various tablets from 256 to 2048 levels (various manufaturer, from genius, wacom, yiynova, huion, etc) and did not find any real difference in quality especially for works less than 4k resolution. Higher levels gives you more control to the pressure and ONLY noticable if your hand is dexterous enough to controll pressure.

What matter is your skills and the accuracy of the tablets. Beginner artist shouldn't even complain about 256 levels (heck mostly their skills cannot even control more than that), and professional artist will buy cintiq/intuos rather than using "alternatives" such as surface.

What matters are : accuracy and sensitivity. They dump wacom and use passive digitizer to achieve thinner display, longer battery life, and cheaper production cost while covering the cons from passive digitizers : palm rejection + poor accuracy; and If microsoft and ntrig successfully produce a device with very high accuracy and sensitivity that competes with wacom's, that will be a perfect all in one portable device.

waiting for further surface 3 pen's review before pre-ordering it :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  5. RobWu

RobWu Scribbler - Standard Member

Seriously???

If any user is dumb enough to do that all the time, what does he/she expect in the end?
    If you apply an action to something that isn't designed to do that, the chances that it will break are very probable. No matter the sturdiness of the device, or brand.
    Other than that, looking forward to more testing and software compatibility tests.

P.S. There are some thoughts on the N-Trig digitizer/pen:

- Technical explanation by one of the MS staff via Reddit: Microsoft addresses N-Trig concerns in Reddit response — Surface Pro Artist
    - By SurfaceProArtist: Surface Pro 3: One week later... — Surface Pro Artist
    - By Penny Arcade: Penny Arcade - Surface Pro 3

And there's the nice video reviews of the Pro3 by Sean Ong: https://www.youtube.com/user/sfomail/videos

rob

6. Szadzik

Szadzik Pen Pal - Newbie

I pre-ordered Pto 3 asa replacement for my laptop and tablet. Sony VAIO SVZ13 and Nexus 7. Rationalization behind this move:

- Laptop gets hardly any use because I have a desktop PC and thus laptop only travels with me when I need the power and functionality of Windows.
    - Tablet gets used on other travels when I do not need the laptop.

Pro 3 will be uased for couch browsing, sending content to the TV as well as for travelling. We will see how that works out.

Ed Hardy likes this.
  7. Clerish

Clerish Pen Pal - Newbie

One week? Really?

That may be true, I don't know exactly how good/bad was ntrig 3 years ago, but please know that now it's perfectly able to rival wacom in the note taking field.
    I've been using my vaio duo 13's ntrig pen for at least 7 months already, taking uni notes 5 hours a day, and the pen's battery hasn't given the least sign of running out of fuel.

So please, don't judge a product without trying it first. Something you tried from 3 years ago doesn't count.

8. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

^ second that
    The N-Trig pen that came with my Thinkpad Tablet lasted for over one year before the battery died out. Although it's indeed clicky noisy, it's way more accurate than my Wacom-powered convertible already.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

@abackbone. Yes, the old Slate 500 NTrig pen was a real POS. It has been improved. We'll have to see how much.

10. Karsten

Karsten Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Jamieson. I came to this site via reddit and read your review which was a good read. One thing I'd like to point out is the material of the pe. You write that it's textured plastic, but Steven Bathiche, head of the Applied Sciences Group for Microsoft, wrote in a recent Surface AMA on reddit, that the pen is anodized aluminum. Could you revise your review with that info, thank you :)

Source:
    SurfaceTeam comments on We are Panos Panay and the Surface team at Microsoft. We proudly introduced Surface Pro 3 last week. Ask us anything!
    Search for the word "aluminum" on the page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.