Microsoft Surface launch date predictions and rumors

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Jan 23, 2021.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've been vocal about this before, but all of this seems to be further confirmation that MS STILL doesn't really have a cohesive overall product line strategy.

I'm not saying that they aren't in some areas executing brilliantly like azure, but more that overall its far more middling such as the surface hardware brand which could have/should have been the absolute show case for all things MS.

Or for that matter O365 which is superb on the desktop (both Windows and even Mac versions are class leading) and is at best fair (IOS and Windows tablets) to poor on Android which is especially jarring given their efforts with the Duo.

If the goal even is to just get MS software services on as many devices as possible, it's still a major fail especially if as part of that effort you should be reducing friction as much as possible.

Apple, love them, hate them, or just ignore them does a far better job of a unified cohesive product strategy and I think the stock market for one, rewards them for that which is why they have such an enormous valuation.

Much as I love and am an advocate of the Surface line, Pro and Go especially they still seem to treat it as a hobby versus the showcase that it should be.

EDIT; and it may be down to leadership. love him, hate him, or laugh at him, the last time they had someone with the focus needed was Ballmer

dellaster and dstrauss like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

And yet, with great focus comes great myopia..

3. desertlap

Agreed, some MS biggest failures also happened under Ballmer. arguably the biggest being the total botches on mobile

Again in the love him or loathe him category, Steve Jobs while far from perfect seemed to have by far the best instincts.

I've heard the argument that perhaps with the exception of Bill Gates, it was because Jobs genuinely loved tech versus being just a business man.

dstrauss likes this.
  4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Under Ballmer, Microsoft actually had consumer product ambition: Zune, Windows Phone, Modern/Metro touch interface, the high-flying marketing of the original Surface (not to mention the Microsoft Stores themselves.)

He also shared Gates' enthusiasm for the Tablet PC, which he showed off at multiple CES events prior to the Surface era:
    [​IMG]
    so you could say he is in large part responsible for this very forum. ;)

The media would of course deem all these projects as failures, but in my opinion they consistently showed fresh thinking and UI relative to products at the time, and only 'failed' when compared to the rapid market adoption of competing Apple products.

Snazzy Labs has excellent videos on the Zune and Windows Phone showcasing just how capable and modern these products were for their time:

If they were failures, they failed from lack of belief and long-term support by Microsoft, not the products themselves.

PS. What do we have under Nadella? Cloud, more cloud, and a stagnating OS and Surface line. No, give me back Ballmer and an adventurous Microsoft.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

desertlap and Bronsky like this.
  7. desertlap

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

More like the drill sergeant to the new recruit “ IF I WANT YOUR OPINION SOLDIER I’LL GIVE IT TO YOU!”

9. Steve S

<<...Kind of like the Packers using analytics to kick a field goal instead of going for the touch down on 4th down with 2:30...>>

@dstrauss : I watched that and couldn't believe it either...?!??

dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  10. Steve S

<<...I 100% believe is that customers often don't know what they want until you show it to them...>>

@desertlap : Also, just because a customer uses a device a certain way doesn't mean that they might wish for something fundamentally different or better

dstrauss likes this.