Microsoft Surface launch date predictions and rumors

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Jan 23, 2021.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

New rumor this morning. All of the new models of pro, laptop and surface book will get the removable drive option that the 7 + and Pro X have.

Apparently a huge hit with business customers

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm glad that customer satisfaction is more important than their ability to overcharge for extra drive space!

3. desertlap

Yeah we suspected something was up when the service spares for the drives in all sizes almost instantly went on backorder. I'm certain it was companies "pre buying"

sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I do like the idea of replaceable drives. Even though I don't really need more space on the HD, I do like the ability to pick one with blazing speed.

5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

@desertlap, any idea if this might extend to the Go 3 as well?

JoeS likes this.
  6. desertlap

I would assume so but the rumor didn't explicitly mention the Go 3 so hard to know for certain. OTOH, given how tight the insides of the Go are , it might be a challenge as the whole assembly is a bit bigger than a straight pcie nvme drive

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, that and being able to repair a device with a broken/deteriorated ssd (I have seen it a few times now with laptops) and possibly salvage any data when a device itself is dead (most should be backup-ed but just in case with very recent work).

JoeS likes this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm kind of surprised to hear of such grim rumors. Discontinuing of the Surface Laptop 15, cloudy future for the Pro X2, and a smaller (and presumably cheaper?) Surface Studio. The Laptop 15 kind of surprises me since its size/AMD chipset set it father apart from the Regular Pro, coupled with the Pro 7+'s business oriented availability, and the removable drives, it seems the Surface Brand is being re-aimed kind of exclusively at Business and Low-end consumer.

9. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In a way, wasn't the Surface brand created due to MS being a bit sick of oems being rubbish? Kind of MS showing them the way? They've done that and the clones are legion. Time to possibly side-line, which would be a BIG shame, or release new re-defined/designed models? A complete refresh after the last releases, maybe.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Great observation, and that is EXACTLY what I thought they were doing with Duo and Neo. They could have redefined mobile computing, but instead fumbled at the five yard line.

Duo - it desperately needed (and still does) iOS quality MS 365, including OneNote, Outlook, and Teams. Instead we got a re-baked version of the Android apps with middling pen support on a gem of hardware that SCREAMED for a modern QC processor and camera.

Neo - I am reminded of Mark Anthony's rebuke of the assassins in Julius Caesar - "I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him....My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,..." The Neo was a hero that was tragically killed by MS in the name of expediency - the pandemic demanded single screen, cubicle life at home, devices. Worse still, recent rumors hint at switching it to Android - perish the thought. Is MS, like Brutus, "an honorable man?"

My practice and my pocketbook are still in the Windows camp, but my heart hopes Apple succeeds even more with their integrated solutions...