Microsoft Surface 3 or Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by SOLA, Aug 7, 2018.

1. SOLA

SOLA Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, could someone suggest me which one to get.

Surface 3 is like 100 eu more than Surface PRO 2 but they say that surface pro 2 has much better CPU.
    Is that true?
    What is your suggestion?
    Thanks

2. freewilly

freewilly Pen Pal - Newbie

The Surface Pro 2 also has a Wacom digitizer which, as far as I'm concerned, is a huge plus. Also, the Pro 2 has an SSD, which is wayyy faster than the EMMC storage of the Surface 3. The CPU should be far speedier too and fan cooling helps reduce throttling. Also, Intel XTU can be used to undervolt the SP2.

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Surface Pro 2 is a much better machine, but for one factor: Battery life. You can't beat S3's Atom Z8700 sipping its battery. Surface Pro 2's Haswell ULV i5 can't compete on that front. But then again, I couldn't bear to suffer through the Z8700 + eMMC + NTrig combo. It was torture.

Let me propose a third option: Something like Lenovo Helix 2nd gen: You get the decent performance of the i5 Haswell (especially if you opt for the 5Y70 CPU upgrade) and Atom like battery life along with an excellent Wacom EMR pen performance like the Surface Pro 2.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...tel-M-5Y70-vs-Intel-i5-4200U/2506vs2382vs1947

If you are lucky, you can score a 8GB/256GB 2nd gen Helix with the ultrabook KB dock for about the same price as 8GB/256GB Surface Pro 2 with it's keyboard.

4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

To be fair there is the option of the type cover that has a battery that works with the SP2.

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It would help but helix 2nd gen ub kb dock also has battery in it iirc. 4200U vs 5Y70 is no contest for battery life anyways.

6. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Guys, what the f is Wacom EMR? I am just trying to figure out if the number 2 or the number 3 is superior.

3 is bigger but 2 is smaller.

It's a conundrum.

7. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Alright so if he is deciding between the surface pro 2 and surface 3, he probably doesn't have the budget for the helix. I'm voting the SP2.

Reasoning:
    1. if he gets the S3 and is unhappy with the speed (and tbh older tablets are slow, he likely will be unhappy with it), he will say "darn I should have gotten the SP2"
    2. if he gets the SP2, he will still probably be not too thrilled about the tablet speed either but at least he'll realize that SP2 and S3 are meh budget options and he will have to deal with some slowness.

At least SP2 and S3 are really simple though (full sized USB + super obvious which stylus to get) , they are still good choices for average Joe.

From yours truly,
    - A picky, tablet elitist prick