Microsoft store without activating Windows Update?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by thatcomicsguy, Dec 7, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi. I don't have a cell phone and I need to do some stuff on Instagram. Luckily, they've made a version for Windows, so that's good.

But.., the only version I've found is on the Microsoft Store, which won't work unless Windows Update is turned on. And that's not going to happen.

Is there any way to selectively download Microsoft Store programs without MS also installing the Fall Creator's Update in the background without my permission? Everything in my OS works properly right now and I don't want the stylus features all messed up!

EDIT***********

Nevermind.

Apparently you can't upload from a PC even using the official Instragram software.

Waste of time.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Brave new world, and I'm not enthusiastic. Such a damn controlled world. Sometimes I even contemplate going analog.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

I am right now installing some kind of Android developer's kit. The install is at 10% of an estimated 15 minutes.

Why am I installing this?

Because I managed to get a cool Android emulator, "Windroy" running on my system. -It's fast and it let me install Instagram. Keen!

Exceeeeeeept.., how do you move a simple picture from your Windows file system over to the emulated Android file system? -You'd think it would be easy, but it's apparently insanely complicated.

I could wimp out and just send my dippy picture files to some cloud storage somewhere and then download them again.., but the thought of having to bounce my files over hundreds of miles of telecom system from my hard drive back to the same hard drive... why that sort of makes me want to hurl my chair through a window. So I'm not going to do that.

I blame cell phones. All of them.

4. thatcomicsguy

Crikey. It's drag and drop. You can drag an image from your windows desktop directly into the Android GUI. -Which is pretty cool, actually.

I definitely over-thunk that one!

JoeS likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

This d'Oh! moment is similar to that time when you discover that you can just paste an image into the post editor on the tabletpcreview forums. :)

(paste)

upload_2017-12-8_16-30-57.jpeg

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

Whaaaaaaaat..?!?

This is a day of revelations!