Microsoft Reveals More Details of Windows 10 for Tablets

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Administrator, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

2. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I appreciate the assurance that TabletPCReview has complained to Windows about the loss of tablet friendliness. As one who doesn't have a means of trying the pre-production version on for size, I suppose I don't have a way to make my own voice known.
    The most disappointing loss is the ability to swipe left-to-right both to cycle through apps and (especially) the ability to swipe left-to-right to snap apps side-by-side. I never use the downward swipe for snap, and I think I would come to hate that being my only option in Windows 10.
    Also, I'm assuming that the swipe-up on Metro apps will be lost, since the task bar is in the way. Is this so? If so, more's the pitty.
    If Windows 10 ends up preserving the left-to-right snap functionality, with no other significant changes, I think I can live with it and I'll switch so that I can get Cortana and access to Windows phone apps on my tablet. If not, though, I think I'll stay with 8.1 on my current tabs, and I'll very likely go with an Android or iPad for any future tablet purchases.

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Honestly, I've never understood these complaints. All I've ever really wanted for my touch-enabled Windows devices was bigger, more ergonomic buttons and Live Tiles on my Desktop. I want touch-enabled buttons (Live Tiles) with a Taskbar and windows. What's so hard about integrating these things? Then you could have the same interface for both functionalities.

Sure, swiping around is nice, and I don't mind it at all on my current device, but I could let that go, if my experience wasn't so schizophrenic.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Are you saying that you want a choice of putting an icon or a live tile for an application on your desktop?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

5. Steve B

Honestly, I wish I could just merge the start screen and the desktop more fully. I want live tiles on my desktop. I want a taskbar on my start screen. This seems like it would solve many issues, and would work well in a variety of environments.

Now that MS is giving us the option for multiple desktops anyways, it' would be just like having multiple screens on the start screen. Arrange different live tiles on different desktops. Merge the two environments.

That's how I'd like it anyways.

6. HJK

To each his own. The desktop/modern interface doesn't really bother me.

7. HJK

Re: a taskbar on the start screen and cluttering modern apps, I'm agin' it. But I could learn to live with it, especially if the swipe-up option on modern apps is preserved. Can you still swipe up in modern IE 11, for example, to see and manage open tabs and type in the url? If so, I can swallow the taskbar a bit more easily.

Re: Why the swipe-left-to-right function is so important for me; I find this to be a boon for multi-tasking productivity. Mac OS X's multi-gestures are wonderful once learned, especially the ability to swipe between full-screen apps. "Classic" Windows (as in Windows 7 or the Windows 8.1 desktop), however, while clunkier, was better for setting documents side-by-side by tiling, cascading, and snapping windows.

By introducing the l-t-r-swipe for both a) swiping through open apps and b) controlling how apps can be snapped alongside one another, Windows 8.1 combined elements reminiscent of Mac's approach with the "classic" Windows approach to managing apps. I love it and use it constantly for everything from checking fb while I surf the web to referencing a PDF while I type up a paper proposal or lesson plan. The functionality could be improved, and it looks like snap (even if the l-t-r-swipe element is lost) has been improved in some ways in Windows 10.

One more thought: I don't see any reason why the l-t-r-swipe is incompatible with Windows 10 as it is, at least in tablet mode. Currently a l-t-r swipe in Windows 10 allows you to view your open apps, is that right? If so, that is an option in Windows 8.1, as well, of course; if you swipe l-t-r and then hold the app for a millisecond on the left-hand side of the screen, your open apps appear in thumbnail form to the left of the screen. In that case, could it be possible that Microsoft will eventually return the old Windows 8.1 style l-t-r swipe to Windows 10 (at least in tablet mode) before the final build without compromising or even really altering anything else in Windows 10? I don't see why not, and I hope that they do so. Perhaps if others feel as I do, we should let Windows know our thoughts.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  8. Steve B

I guess I've never really cared for having to swipe between apps on my SP3. I wanted to have multiple apps open at once. That was functional. It works. I could see, on a smaller device, why swiping would be more critical. But on laptop hybrids, I just want to be able to open apps in windows and use what they have to offer next to pre-existing desktop apps.

Guess we'll see what they choose. For now, honestly, I just went back to Win 7 on my x230t. It's easier. It has some limited functionality compared to all the bells and whistles of 8.1, but what it does it does well. As a laptop/ convertible user, it's my preference. On my Thinkpad Tablet 2, I use 8.1 though. It's clearly much much much better on a tablet. Hopefully 10 will work well on both devices.

9. HJK

I can see that, depending upon tasks/context. This is where I think Win 10 could really shine. Is there any reason that Win 10 can't do *both* what you want it to do *and* what I want it to do? Put another way, is there any reason why a l-t-r swipe to cycle function would get in the way of the "legacy" cascading and tiling functions? If not, why not enable both capabilities? Or, perhaps at least MS could leave the l-t-r swipe active in the tablet oriented version of continuum, and switch it off in the laptop/desktop oriented version.

10. Steve B

I would like to have the ability to do both. That would be really interesting to me. Wouldn't it be neat if we could swipe through both desktop applications and apps, when working on a laptop? I mean, despite the fact that apps are touch focused and desktop applications often work better with a mouse, desktop applications and apps are really the same thing, functionally- they are there for us to interact with and gt information from. At root, it's just the way they've been programmed that's different, and yet that fact is somehow dictating everything else.

I am game for your idea! :)

HJK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.