Microsoft Reader inking issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by DRTigerlilly, Jan 6, 2016.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I'm having brain issues this morning, I vaguely remember this being an issue that's been around before but can't place it.

So what i'm experiencing is that when i try to ink in Microsoft Reader on PDF files, the ink is moving after i've written it. Also where it appears on the page I am not able to interact with it , to erase i would have to try to erase in the same location where it was actually initially written on the page (though the ink does not appear in this location o_O)

This doesn't happen in Onenote or Bluebeam PDF, so it's not an issue with the screen.

Anyone had a similar issue with Reader or know how to fix it?

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I don't recall ever seeing that myself. I've been a DrawBoard convert since day 1 (or maybe day 2), maybe worth a shot as an alternative? $10 tough.

WillAdams and DRTigerlilly like this.
  3. DRTigerlilly

Drawboard and I are not friends. I bought it, but never use it. The ink just doesn't feel as natural and as fluid to me as writing in Onenote (I am seriously obsessed with that app) and it always tends to act up...

WHY oh WHY could Onenote not have native PDF support...(don't like having to print my PDF's into Onenote)...I would be like a pig in mud if Onenote natively supported PDF's. *rant off*

4. DRTigerlilly

case in point, decided to redownload Drawboard to my tablet, got to the screen asking me if i'm using a digital pen or using my finger to annotate. I've selected pen, and can't seem to get past that screen:mad:

UPDATE: So I decided to try rotating the screen, to put it into landscape...for whatever reason Drawboard wasn't recognizing that I was moving the tablet....I did not test other apps, so i'll give that one to the machine....

Put the machine in sleep and then wake woke it up again...got it to rotate....and then i saw that there was in fact a next button so was able to advance.

A nice note, in this updated version of Drawboard, the inking feels waaaaayyyy better than what I remember it being. So thanks @JoeS I think i'll give Drawboard another chance and see if it can in fact become my PDF Annotator of choice :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    JoeS likes this.
  5. JoeS

Oh noes, your tablet is cursed! I've never seen that, the only issue I have with drawboard is that it stops responding to the pen for say ten seconds seemingly randomly. Happens once every few minutes. Have you tried PDF Annotator? It's an x86 app, but it has a great inking experience.

6. DRTigerlilly

ok now i'm knit picking....am slightly annoyed at how erasing works...not natural at all...as it seems to have to "think" about removing the ink...also find that I have to go back over the area to get everything gone. I guess as long as i don't make a bunch of mistakes and have alot of erasing to do it should be fine. ;)

7. JoeS

Fully agreed on that front. It is possible to drag around annotations while holding the pen button to select ink, then pen-tap on that selection while holding the pen button, and pick 'delete'. By the way, for smaller file size and better performance you can disable pressure sensitive ink. I also highly recommend activating the favorite tools bar and customizing it to your liking. I don't use the 'wheel' at all anymore. I've got something like six pens and markers in the favorites bar for quick access, plus an 'undo' icon, really convenient.

DRTigerlilly likes this.