Microsoft Pen Protocol 2.0?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ATIVQ, Jun 23, 2020.

1. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Looks like some HP Spectre x360 and Envy x360 models come with an MPP 2.0 pen:

HP Rechargeable MPP 2.0 Tilt Pen
    Create naturally with no interruptions. Improved latency and greater sensitivity allow you smoothly transition between colors for finer details while you write, draw and edit on any of your devices.​

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I saw that a little while back, they have 3 tiers, MPP 1.0, 1.5, & 2.

Here's a PDF info dump, this is from 2018, but I suppose its still relevant.

https://query.prod.cms.rt.microsoft.com/cms/api/am/binary/RE2IO4W

No clue on how a MPP 2.0 device would perform though, since most OEMs don't really label the generational specifics of the pen tech they are using. And given how most devices are designed for more business endeavors there's no real incentive to choose a better pen tech when the bottom of the barrel option would suffice for most of their customers. Even the Asus ZenBook Pro Duo....a device that went top of the line with almost everything, doesn't even list the caliber of MPP it used, and based on my use of its Pen, from how poorly it performed, they must have chosen MPP 1.0.

But I give bonus points to HP for advertising this.

3. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The info from 2017 and 2018 said MPP 1.8/2.0 will have 266Hz report rate and that it will be released with the Surface Pro 7. From my experience it's really easy to draw fast curves with sharp corners on the SP7 so it's probably 60Hz and at best 100Hz. But I think the new Sptectre x360 and the new Envy x360 might actually have a new MPP digitizer, possibly with a 266Hz report rate.

Anyway glad Microsoft are still improving their pen. Definitely gonna consider this on my next device upgrade.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would be a little skeptical if the Pro 7 did get any pen performance update. not counting the Pro X’s slim pen.....they haven’t updated the Surface Pen since the Pro 5. For both the the Pro 6 & 7 they didn’t mention any update or change to the pen tech at all. It also important to note that the Pro 7 was supposed to have been the major redesign.....Microsoft shuffled that around because of the Pro X, but since the Pro 7 ended up being a marginal refresh Instead, they may have held off on updateing the pen tech to save that for the redesign. Which I hope ends up being the Pro 8.