Microsoft Office on Chromebooks for realz now

Discussion in 'Software' started by violajack, Nov 28, 2017.

1. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

https://chromeunboxed.com/news/microsoft-office-lands-on-chromebooks-everywhere/

I've been using my Samsung Chromebook plus in developer mode to have One Note sideloaded for sometime now, but all the office apps are finally back officially. This is a great machine if Android apps are sufficient for your needs. One Note with the (siloed!) EMR pen is smooth and accurate and it's really nice with the Staedtler Noris pen. I'm not an artist, so I can't speak to the quality or performance of Android drawing apps though.

This also means the Chromebook pixel should be a pretty killer machine. It's slightly lighter and thinner than the Samsung plus and the build quality and feel are amazing. Sadly, the demo machine at BB wasn't running full apps, just stupid demo screens, so I couldn't even test the pen in Keep, but it's Wacom AES and should be nice enough.

Again, this is all with the caveat that Android apps or chrome web apps have to be enough to meet your needs.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I can confirm that this does indeed function! I got a wild hair and went and bought (for trial, of course, Dale!) a Chromebook Pro (convertible with Wacom EMR S-pen) on BF for $400 and have really been enjoying it. The lack of support for MSN Office was looking like the deal killer and then, voila! - 3 days into ownership of this new toy I read the post in your link, downloaded the apps (previously Google Play Store had said "not compatible with your device" [because the screen is larger than 10"]) and they work - pretty much. In a few days of owning this thing I've learned, regarding Chrome OS"

1) If you don't like something, wait, possibly only a day or two, and it will be fixed/added, etc
    2) After that thing is fixed/added, expect it to be buggy for a little while but...
    2) ...return to step 1)

Between a Chrome OS update, the addition of MS Office apps, something else that escapes me at present, I have seen this thing transform itself in short order. Not that it needs that much transforming to be very useful and earn its rather modest keep.

Virtues:
    1) Fast, buttery smooth browsing, app functionality - faster than any PC or tablet I have owned, smoother too
    2) Excellent Wacom EMR implementation. The included S-Pen in the chassis is quite serviceable, but my collection of 7 EMR styli all work wonderfully
    3) Truly, truly amazing screen: 2400x1600 (3x2, yay!), 400 nit, not sure of color gamut (Chromebook reviews don't measure this!) but I'd guess at least 75% sRGB and I'd believe over 90%. With the exception of the HP Spectre x360 4K, the finest laptop or tablet screen I have seen; beats my SP3 in eyeball comparison.
    4) Doesn't slow down with unlimited open Chrome tabs, open Apps; I'm sure it does, but I haven't hit the limit.
    5) Battery life = 7 hrs with very bright screen, probably 9+ with sensible screen brightness - but it's to seductive!!
    6) Very solid mostly-metal construction.
    7) Chrome OS just works! Everything is so easy, rarely shows stress of any kind.

Non-virtues:
    1) Keyboard - barely acceptable for serious typing, though I am getting used to it and speeds are improving to near my norm. Suffers from narrowness of body due to 3X2 aspect ratio and small side bezels; small keys.
    2) MS apps still have a way to go, especially One Note. Missing quite a bit of functionality, but all, including ON, are more than serviceable for creating, reviewing, some editing

Anyway, I never had any inclination to even look at a Chromebook but there's something about the simplicity of the machine and some excellent hardware Samsung put into this make for a very rewarding experience, exceptions noted. I know how much I like it by how often I grab for it vs, say, my Surface Pro 3.

Stay tuned.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  3. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That review and price has me tempted at looking at a Chromebook pro, but I kind of waiting to see what version 2 brings(hopefully options up to 256gb). With the news that Office is now on Chromebooks and has pen support, that really changes things. I take Office has more features than the Android variant?

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I know what you mean about wanting more capacity, especially storage. It's not clear how much - if any - benefit the SD card will be; at present you can't move Android apps to it nor even app data on thinhs I've used. And it's not clear how much help Drive will be in handling Android app-related storage. Now that I'm using this it's clear I will outgrow it soon, largely for storage purposes; not seeing near term need for more RAM or a stronger cpu.

As for office apps, sadly they're not any more powerful than on an Android phone - yet - though I still like them better than the Google Office clones. And storage for these (files) will not take up system capacity, as One Drive stands at the ready. I think of the MS apps on CB to be very much works in progress and likely to get better if only because the millions of CB users hooked on Google Docs are ripe for the picking by MS, lest they lose out on a generation of would-be customers. Better hardware on CBs should drive that too. For now, though, I see Office apps as mostly for viewing and doing light editing, not so much for heavy creation, simply due to limited app features at present.