Microsoft Office 2010 Technical Preview

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by linj, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For those who are interested:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Signed up. I hope they have some big improvements for us in Onenote.

3. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Woof

I signed up. Hopefully they let some students in so we can test things like OneNote.

4. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

For real. Onenote is the big thing. I'd also like to see if they can find a creative way to make Excel more usable in slate mode. My brother keeps telling me this version has support for inked equations. I guess that's cool, but if I had to choose I'd rather that Microsoft took the equation writer in Word and incorporated it into all their office products. Of course if they did that I'd want them to make the equations work with spreadsheets so I could write an equation in excel just like I'd write it, but be able to change variables by typing them into cells......then that's where inkable cells would be awesome. Dammit, I better reign my hopes in. That's way too much to expect.

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's been leaked. I haven't actually tried anything other than OneNote yet.

The big difference I notice is the ribbon interface, which will take some time to get used to, but it saves a lot of screen space so it'll be a big benefit eventually.

From the OneNote 2010 Guide notebook, What's new in OneNote 2010?
    The lasso select with right mouse is being a little funky for me, 99% of the time it'll actually draw a circle around what I'm trying to select. After reopening the program, the lasso select is being less temperamental though.

Most of the new features don't affect me. I stopped using OneNote Mobile when I realized it was practically useless. I don't use SharePoint, and I have a WHS so I previously stored my Notebooks on the server and the sync worked perfectly in the old version. Math support is definitely going to be useful for some I'm sure, though I'm not going to upgrade my notebook to test it. The main things I notice are little things, like I can insert a new page between pages and stuff, little timesavers like that.

6. Frank

You could try to print an endless page with OneNote 2010 to see if they've improved it. Also it would be interesting to know if they added an option for an endless page with a fixed width.
    But most changes affect sharing, web, internet things, which I don't use :(

7. brvdboss

brvdboss Scribbler - Standard Member

And I don't know if you're using a 64bit version of Vista. If you do, does printing to Onenote work?

8. jhoff80

I'm using 32-bit Windows 7 7100 (aka the RC). I don't have a printer, I'm not sure that Bluebeam's PDF Printer will give the same result to give you something to compare against.

9. Frank

A PDF Printer does the job, too. It's just interesting to see how they solved the page breaks. If OneNote still cuts ink or drawings near a page break in two parts or if it does handle the page break more intelligent, now.
    Also do we have more options to print now, like custom borders, print the grid, etc?

10. jhoff80

Seems to be awkward page breaks still. As for the questions, it doesn't appear to be improved for any of them, unfortunately. Though, I haven't been following too closely, is this still an early enough build that new features can come later?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.