Microsoft New Hardware Event on 22 September 2021

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Sep 1, 2021.

1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Another take on the Laptop Studio talking about what many here have been discussing, that it's not original (and to the author, it doesn't seem to really push anything new forward):
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/23/...ace-laptop-studio-book-3-specs-step-backwards

To her point of the Laptop Studio being a step back and the Book 3 feeling dated, I still think the obvious way for Microsoft to go would have been to say something along the lines of "here's the new Surface Pro 8... and one more thing, with our new Thunderbolt laptop keyboard, it's also the new Surface Book."

In other words, make the Pro 8 the 'clipboard' and sell a hard laptop keyboard like the Book keyboard, with a dedicated GPU and more batteries within it. Something many of us have discussed before but if they were ending the Book line now would have been the perfect opportunity for it.

While I'm still really happy with just using my Pro X as a main device, that would have interested me much more than the Laptop Studio.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It can't be because of the refresh rate, because the Pro 8 has the same refresh rate and still retains its high res.

Laptop Studio - 14.4 inch 2400 x 1600 Display
    Surface Pro 8 - 13 inch 2880 x 1920 Display

Its weird, the Aspect Ratio is the same, and given the Book 3's higher res, it does seem odd they bumped its resolution down.

There are a few other specs I find kind of interesting, more so with the Pro 8

The Pros 5-7 were 8.5 mm thick and weighted more around 1.7 pounds. While I wasn't expecting them to make it lighter and thinner, I wasn't expecting to see it fatten up a bit as it has. The Pro 8 is 9.3 mm thick and weights 1.96 pounds. Given the improvements they made with the performance, screen rate, and battery life, making it a bit bigger was probably a necessary trade off. But the added thickness and weight, while marginal, could pose concerns in some use cases. Sometimes when I go to life drawing classes in NYC, I sometimes take my Pro 5 with Slim pen and sometimes I have to hold the device for the entire duration 3-4 hours. But even with breaks, holding a tablet for a 40-min pose can get tiring. So in that specific use case, a slightly thicker and heavier Pro 8 would be concerning for me. Also not happy they removed the micro-SD card slot, but I really never used that much anyway, and having access to the SSD makes it less important overall.

The Pricing is also higher, but one benefit of that, it makes it easier to justify spending up to the 16GB models, since the price increase only seems to be on the lower models.

The 16GB/i5/256GB config is $1399, and as far as memory serves, thats kind of always been the relative price for that config.
    But thats a much easier jump when you're already spending $1099 for 8GB/i5/128GB, as opposed to $899 where its kind of easier to justify getting the low end model.

Eltos likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

A book like dock for the Pro is something we've been asking for, for years. At this point, I somewhat doubt Microsoft will ever do that especially since as you said, now would have been the perfect time to do so. I guess it will ultimately depend on how successful the Laptop Studio ends up being. Maybe a return to the Book form factor could be in the cards one day.

However I think Microsoft made the right call. The Books form factor limited how powerful it could be. The Laptop Studio won't have that same handicap. And even if the 14-inch 35w CPU/RTX3050ti isn't powerful enough for some, this is technically a first gen device, if its successful, maybe a Laptop Studio 2 could see a 16-inch screen with 45w/RTX3080ti option. Very much like how the Book2 introduced a larger screen and beefier graphics over the Book 1.

nnthemperor and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...While I wasn't expecting them to make it lighter and thinner, I wasn't expecting to see it fatten up a bit as it has...>>

Another change that may have slipped by you: They're now using aluminum instead of magnesium for the case...

Aluminum = 1.56 oz/in^3 or 169 lb/ft^3 - Magnesium = 1.00 oz/in^3 or 108 lb/ft^3

Web thicknesses may have also had to be changed (i.e., thicker) because of the change in material properties

perry59 likes this.
  5. perry59

perry59 Scribbler - Standard Member

I would have preferred they stuck with the magnesium, it's lighter and stronger, but I do realize it's harder to work with and more expensive

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It would likely be far more expensive. Magnesium prices have been going through the roof for the past couple of years. My guess is that the engineers switched to aluminum out of necessity rather than choice.

perry59 and Bishop like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Gentlemen, PLEASE, Sir Jony taught us it is

AL U MIN IUM

COGBABY, Eltos, Azzart and 1 other person like this.
  8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Put it in a case/shell & I doubt most of us would notice it's not magnesium. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing an all titanium option with a titanium keyboard cover for the SP lineup.

Eltos and Bronsky like this.
  9. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, so I do not know how this is in the US but in Europe you can do this as long as just put back the original parts and there were no warnings on the mobo (on adhesive tape) mentioning 'this voids warranty' (the latter I never see anymore so perhaps there is a law that prevents laptop manufacturers from doing that). Personally I just recently send back a broken laptop and swapped back in any original parts, still had warranty (of course do not mention the swapping and do not visible damage any parts while swapping :vbwink:).

Eltos likes this.
  10. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

That was essentially what I was thinking. Not too mention they specifically state its so you can remove the hard drive for data retention and security. Either way, I think a swap would be fine--as long as their isn't a sticker. I will wait for someone else to do it and post it on youtube. ;)

daddyfish likes this.