Microsoft New Hardware Event on 22 September 2021

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Sep 1, 2021.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Some VERY interesting pictures comparing the SLS to SB3 you guys need to check out over at NoteBookCheck:

[​IMG]

That strange base is not near as strange as it seems in the reveal...

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I thought immediately of the Acer R7 when I saw the early concept mock ups of the Surface Book. Acer is way ahead on this concept.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Did anyone else notice they REDUCED the resolution of the SLS - 2400 x 1600 vs 3000 x 2000 for Surface book 3?

JoeS, sonichedgehog360 and Eltos like this.
  4. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

That's a great picture.
    I feel like neither of those two designs would survive the cutting room floor at the fruit company.

Tams, dstrauss, JoeS and 1 other person like this.
  5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Azzart makes a case for why one would prefer the AcerD 7 Ezel as a high end model, but I've read enough reviews to know that a lot of people found the laptop average at best, outside of the stellar inking experience and screen. Sound was average at best, same for typing experience. I think if folks want a high end EMR device for art, it's probably the better choice if you've got 3000$ to spend.

But for me, somewhere in the 1600-1800$ range, I could get something very comparable to my Galaxy Book Flex in terms of screen size and quality, but also get a stellar/very good keyboard, webcam, and audio. As a general product, that's a lot of very useful things to me. Assuming the new pen really is a significant improvement (I've not really tried using a MS pen for real dedicated work in a few years now... even before the first slim pen), it might be worth the trade off to me. I don't do digital art as a profession. That's a side experience. What I do do is design landscape plans freehand with clients, sketch with them, etc. For that, my needs __might__ be met by this device, while still getting a way better "general day-to-day laptop" experience.

I will say that when I last bought (and then returned) a SB13 (2 iterations ago?), it did not meet my needs on either level- professionally or day-to-day. Pen input was not good enough for my desires. It was also not as big as I wanted, nor did it have very good sound quality for such an expensive device. If this new SLS is the next iteration of the SB, then it's definitely meeting my personal needs better. !! :)

Atleast theoretically.... LOL

Eltos, daddyfish and JoeS like this.
  6. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

BWAHAHAHAHA

7. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

I was watching a review on YouTube from PCMag. The reviewer was guessing it was a result of the increased refresh rates. I think it took PPI from 260 range to 200 range.

8. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree. My interest in the SLS is keeping me on the sidelines until I can see just how big it feels in person.

And just like you, I miss the days when we could roll into a MS store and roll out with practically any SKU. Or roll in with a broken machine and roll out with the warranty replacement.

one thing is that the SLS isn’t as revolutionary as the SB line. The SLS is a reworked HP Folio. The implementation may be revolutionary with their fancy hinge, but the user experience seems identical.

I looked and I couldn’t find an Intel based Folio. Maybe it didn’t sell well enough?
    https://www.hp.com/us-en/laptops/business/elite-folio.html

How does your comparison play out between the SLS and the SP8? Do they both share the same image processing improvements on the webcam?

9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Poor Vaio* being left out of much of the discussion around the hinge design.

And sort of Sony Vaio with the Duos.

Ehhhhh. Most things would look normal when compared to a Surface Book.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  10. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, Both have their pros and cons imo. I think I prefer the display actually on the SLS, 3:2 is a nice ratio. The i7-11370H in the SLS is more efficient / 10nm 35watt (versus the older 14nm 45watt but 6-core Ci7-10750H). Because of this and the efficient dgpu I think the SLS is better choice if battery life is also an important factor, while for full performance the ConceptD seems to have an edge even in cpu power. I also prefer full size pen / dock over Acer mini pen. All in all the SLS seems to be better all-round laptop to me while the ConceptD takes the cake as the EMR juggernaut.

ps: price of Surface devices (like macbooks) creep up with higher amounts of ram or bigger ssd's.

, yeah I remember their Acer R7 laptops and almost bought one with the gtx 750, but Acer did not refresh it sadly. Later they released a 14" one which was also cool but without dgpu and then they just stopped until the ConceptD line.

, I believe the Intel Folio was weaker at some points than Qualcomm one (thicker etc) while still only offering a low watt cpu. Regarding the SLS vs SP8; the SLS takes the cake with graphics power and sustained cpu performance as well as larger screen. While the Pro 8 is much lighter and more portable.