Microsoft Might Offer Surface Pro 4 With a 13- or 14-Inch Display

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Ed Hardy, Nov 10, 2014.

?

Would you be interested in a 13- or 14-inch Surface Pro 4?

1. Yes, I'd like a 14-inch SP4

23 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. Yes, a 13-Inch SP4

10 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. No, I'm more interested in a 12-inch SP4

28 vote(s)
    45.2%
  4. No, the Surface Pro line doesn't interest me.

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

The consumer has plenty of choice, chose the Surface or one of the many Clamshell 2 and 1 Ultrabooks that Intel and the OEMs are creating...

dstrauss likes this.
  2. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

I can also drive my car out into the river and use it as a boat. Yes, it technically will work for a period of time but it isn't really made for that just as the SP1/SP2 Power Cover really isn't made for the SP3.

My current "problem" is that the SP line really has been the best at offering a tablet experience. HP's SP competitors running Core M CPUs are bigger, thicker, and heavier. I don't need a 2-in-1 with a permanently attached keyboard since I primarily use it in tablet mode while at home. It's nice to have the option of getting 10+ hours of battery life out of the SP while on trips, working in the field, etc. I am personally fine if MS were to come out with another cloth Power Cover for the SP4 but I know many people want to be able to use the SP in notebook mode on their laps. A clam shell setup would solve this issue.

Right now I haven't come across a viable option that offers the same stylus functionality, battery life, portability, performance, and accessory options that the SP does. HP's units aren't as portable (plus they went with the SP design of using a built-in kickstand and cloth keyboard), Dell's new Venue 11 looks very promising with Dell claiming a 10 hour battery life (15 with the keyboard dock) but I haven't come across any real world numbers, and then there's the whole looming release of the SP4.

I guess I don't see anything wrong with wanting an SP with a keyboard battery attachment that is actually made for that device.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm with Steve and Jeff on this one. Sure, there are lots of folks that would prefer a real keyboard dock (with extra battery) for their SPr03-4, but don't lose sight of Microsoft's objective here - a reference level tablet/ultrabook device, with maximum portability, that their OEM partners weren't producing. It was, and still is, designed to drive interest in the Windows 8x-10 platform. Microsoft is not looking to replace any of its OEM partners on the list of top selling manufacturers. If you want a comparable scenario, look at Apple's steadfast refusal to sell a real keyboard dock for the iPad. That may change with the forthcoming iPad Pro, but they have their reference design and just continue to refine it. That's what I think Microsoft will be up to with the Surface line - narrowly focused with fewer options, than the 49,000 SKU's from HP, Dell, and Lenovo.

Toshiba, HP, and Asus all have clamshell devices to offer, that are far better than their pre-Surface offerings. That's where you should cast your eyes. There is no use lusting for a Rolex wristband to put on your Tag Heur watch.

jnjroach likes this.
  4. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

After playing around with my SP2 for a few months, and seeing the SP3, I came to the conclusion that for a tablet to replace my laptop, it needs to be at least 17", with a 16:10 ratio (3:2 might work as well, but 16:9 is simply too wide).

So, none of the options are fitting for me, as I absolutely am interested in the SP line.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

True, but it still surprises me that Logitech or someone wiser hasn't come out with a keyboard dock with additional ports and internal battery. The SP3 it's not a fiasco on part with the original Surface line, there should be a market for this. IIRC alt the APIs for the keyboard connection is released.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

6. dstrauss

Perhaps because it is not a fruit device?

efjay likes this.
  7. dstrauss

I was looking at a couple of reviews of the new Dell XPS 13 "Infinity" screen, and it uses a 0.2" bezel - translate to the existing SPro 3 form factor, and the SPro 4 could indeed fit a 13" screen in the same casing - MAKE IT SO NUMBE ONE! (Panos)

8. Equake

Equake Pen Pal - Newbie

Didn't the SP2 have an optional cover with extended battery called a power cover or such.

If they release SP4 in Win10 time frame then skylake would be a logical choice for Q3 release in time for back to school.

Broadwell doesn't really provide that much upgrade.

If MS was to open the h/w ecosystem there would be better accessories got the surface line.

My 2 cents

9. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Scribbler - Standard Member

MS always introduces a new Surface Pro as Intel is scheduled to release a new processor. While being on the cutting edge of processors seems great, it also opens your hardware to be a failure in the marketplace.

MS is playing it safe while they build a brand.

Who knows, we might see MS acquire a processor company next (AMD) ?

10. dstrauss

Since Microsoft is really new at this, and not the Apple of Intel's eye, their releases seem to be solidly one generation behind the latest processor, while Apple always seems to update/upgrade with the first stable batches of new processors from Intel's part bins...

Soooooo, if Skylake is next up to bat this fall (that itself is never a given - Intel has not been hitting its own release targets lately) then SPro 4 will be Broadwell for sure (possibly M and ULV options for fanless vs fan configurations).

Erik Latranyi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.