Microsoft Might Offer Surface Pro 4 With a 13- or 14-Inch Display

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Ed Hardy, Nov 10, 2014.

?

Would you be interested in a 13- or 14-inch Surface Pro 4?

1. Yes, I'd like a 14-inch SP4

23 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. Yes, a 13-Inch SP4

10 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. No, I'm more interested in a 12-inch SP4

28 vote(s)
    45.2%
  4. No, the Surface Pro line doesn't interest me.

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...BUT (yes, the big one) the stylus HAS to fit in the phablet...>>

...And thus we see where the next 1,000 posts are going to go...!!!

dstrauss and Mesosphere like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Steve - you are so perceptive! The stunning advantage of the Asus VivoTab Note 8 and ThinkPad Tablet 2 (not to mention the Galaxy Note series) is the Wacom stick that fits in a silo in the device - of course those little sticks ARE NOT the best writing devices (really like the full size Samsung and Surface 2 pens), THEY ARE ALWAYS THERE, whether or not you forget the real pen.

southdunes likes this.
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I just experienced this issue today with my surface Pro three. I was getting ready for a teleconference call and recognized I needed to take some notes, but was unable to find my pen quickly enough before things began. How incredibly annoying! Yes, it doesn't happen very often, but when it does happen, and you can't find a pen and you need it – that sucks.

dstrauss, ile and Mesosphere like this.
  4. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

I hope MS fixes this with the SP4. It would be nice if they offered a hard, clam shell keyboard case for the SP4 (with a secondary internal battery) that also has a true slot for the stylus rather than the cloth loop the SP3 has or the magnetic attachment that the SP1 and SP2 had.

That's one other thing I forgot to mention about the SP4; I really want MS to release something like the Power Cover for it. The battery life of the SP3 is nice but there are times when I need something that can last a bit longer while in desktop mode (mainly when I'm compiling code on-the-go or when I'm watching movies on a flight). My SP2 has the same battery life as the SP3 but it is extended (by nearly 50%) when I attach the Power Cover. I was able to take a 4.5 hour flight to California, watch two movies, and still have enough juice when I landed to take notes in the meeting I had later that night and surf the internet in my hotel room before having to plug it in. I wouldn't be able to do that with the SP3 as it would have been drained by ~60% by the time I landed and I would of had to charge it during the meeting.

I would really like to see MS offer a clam shell keyboard option similar to the Asus Transformer series so that the Surface could be used as a true notebook on any surface (like a lap) but easily pop out for tablet use.

ile and southdunes like this.
  5. Steve S

<<...I wouldn't be able to do that with the SP3...>>

...But you can. The SP2 Power Cover is compatible with the SP3.

6. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

A clamshell Keyboard with additional battery is exactly what I want. Plus Wacom.

7. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

I am fine with the cloth keyboard that doesn't have a hard hinge but I know that many people are put off by that. I would buy one if it came with an additional battery. MS could easily push the 15 hour mark if they put a properly volted Core M in the SP4 along with adding a hard keyboard+battery cover. I would buy that configuration day one, no hesitations.

But it looks quite silly to say the least. It's not an all-in-one solution actually made for the SP3, it just happens to work with it.

8. Steve S

<<... It's not an all-in-one solution actually made for the SP3...>>

korn: But it does work. If long operating times are really that important to you, you should work with what's available in the present rather than wish for something in the future that may or may not materialize...

<<...A clamshell Keyboard with additional battery is exactly what I want...>>

ile: That goes for you, too. Buy a Helix or a laptop.

Although anything is possible... I suppose... I share jnj's opinion that this is not a part of Microsoft's vision for Surface. You need to find a product that has this feature.

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Panos has publicly said that they tested Clamshell Keyboard Prototypes and they didn't meet their expectations and didn't work with the esthetics of the device.

10. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

Good excuse. Panos is rethorically perfect, he knows how Marketing works...

My answer to this Statement: it's ******** . And, by the way: the consumer would still have the choice between clamshell and cover. So there'd be no disadvantage at all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.