Microsoft Might Offer Surface Pro 4 With a 13- or 14-Inch Display

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Ed Hardy, Nov 10, 2014.

?

Would you be interested in a 13- or 14-inch Surface Pro 4?

1. Yes, I'd like a 14-inch SP4

23 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. Yes, a 13-Inch SP4

10 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. No, I'm more interested in a 12-inch SP4

28 vote(s)
    45.2%
  4. No, the Surface Pro line doesn't interest me.

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I do think a 14/15" 3:2 screen would be a joy to use for certain functions, and I might be interested in one, but it would officially become a specialized device, IMO, the way a 8" tablet is. If I got one, I'd need a small, pen-input, hand held device to use as a secondary device. The 12" SP3 does walk a very fine line between laptop and hand held. Still, a big screen would be wonderful for certain functions, and I'm sure there's a market. I'd go bigger (15"), rather than smaller though. Might as well push the different usage cases.

I'd love to see 9", 12", and 15' Surface Pro's, all with pens.

Fluffyfurball likes this.
  2. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

I believe Microsoft has already said that the current docking station will continue to work with the next version of Surface Pro. This likely rules out significant changes in form factor, but perhaps they could still fit a slightly larger screen in the same frame.

That would be fine with me. Personally I'd rather they focus on making it lighter and removing the fan.

3. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Removing the fan mean making the TDP even lower. That mean, less computing power. Then it wouldn't really be the "Tablet that can replace your laptop"....

12 inch or larger with Wacom and be as thin as is. Then we're talking.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

alextrela182 likes this.
  4. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

13,3"

Wacom

Core M - fanless

real docking keyboard (like ThinkPad Helix or Toshiba Z20t) with second battery

--> perfect device

5. Chris_Kez

You don't think they'll use the new Core M? They won't make even one SKU without a fan?

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Maybe not 1st gen Core M......but given how Intel has been improving Chip power & Performance every generation, perhaps the 2nd Gen of Core M will offer performance comparable to 4th Gen ULVs

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

We will see the Core M on the Opening Price Point I'm sure as the "M" is a replacement for the Haswell "Y" Variant....

alextrela182 likes this.
  8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I think for the tasks that the vast majority use their laptops for, Core M is plenty powerful, and for those that do need more horse power, ULV is often not enough. Particularly, heavily throttled as it usually is.

IMO, fanless core M will convince a larger audience to replace their laptop with an SP than a U Series CPU. Just a guess though of course =)

ile likes this.
  9. Chris_Kez

Agreed, and presumably because of better battery life in the context of this hypothetical SP4. If they have both Core M variants and U Series variants, I presume the physical dimensions and the chassis will be largely identical for manufacturing reasons (similar to what Dell did with the Venue 11 Pro).

10. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder - is it possible MS will jump back to new Wacom technology, available in recently announced Toshiba and Lenovo devices? And when Surface pro 4 will be released? I doubt they'll wait for Win 10 release, as it'll be hard to compete with broadwell devices with haswell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.