Microsoft Might Offer Surface Pro 4 With a 13- or 14-Inch Display

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Ed Hardy, Nov 10, 2014.

?

Would you be interested in a 13- or 14-inch Surface Pro 4?

1. Yes, I'd like a 14-inch SP4

23 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. Yes, a 13-Inch SP4

10 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. No, I'm more interested in a 12-inch SP4

28 vote(s)
    45.2%
  4. No, the Surface Pro line doesn't interest me.

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

The Surface Pro 3 is larger than its predecessors, and it has also been more successful. Microsoft has reportedly decided that these two things are related and is planning to add 13- and/or 14-inch versions to the next iteration of this tablet.

Note: The source for this report, DigiTimes, has a hit-or-miss reputation when it comes to rumors, so it's far from certain that there really are larger versions of this tablet in development.

2. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd like to see 14 inch "Surface book" with surface pen, quad core CPU and Vaio-Flip like transformation ability. Tablet form-factor for anything above 12" is ridiculous, I think.

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I agree, but I would prefer 13". If MS released a convertible surface ultrabook with good pen input (preferably Wacom) I'd have a difficult time keeping my money in my pocket.

4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Things like a 13-14" tablet are just about an entirely different kind of functionality. Anyone that thinks its for "toting around" in the hand is smoking crack, IMO. It's for desktop and lap use as a tablet. It's for desktop use as a laptop. It's not a terrible idea, it's just something different form typical tablet usage. It also might allow more powerful components, because you could disperse the heat over a greater area.

It's not without limitations, but it has advantages too.

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

From the Digitimes article:

"Sales of the Surface-family products have been flat since their launch due to high pricing as well as an insufficient availability of related applications, triggering waves of speculations that the software giant will cease the production of its Surface tablets.

"For example, Windows-based tablets accounted for only a 3% share of global tablet market in the second quarter of 2014, said the sources, citing data from market research firms.

"However, the launch of the 12-inch Surface Pro 3 appears to have made a turnaround for Microsoft's tablet business. The company reported recently that revenues of its Surface business unit reached US$908 million in the third quarter of 2014, increasing 127% from the US$400 million of a year earlier.

"Based on that, Microsoft intends to develop 13- or 14-inch Surface Pro, targeting the business segment, said the sources, but adding that the plan is still at its early stage, and it still remains uncertain if Microsoft will proceed with the plan."

Reading this, I can now understand the driving logic behind the "Surface RT".

Tablet sales, that huge market of which MS only has this reported 3%, is run almost exclusively on Kittens. (That is, media consumption, daytime planners, angry birds and Facebook). You don't need a powerful Windows machine for any of that stuff.

So, my guess is that MS knew or suspected this truth, that kittens drive the tablet market, and that their Surface Pro line, (promoted by appealing to customers with its under-the-hood and design merits rather than its coffee shop cache), was simply not going to appeal to the kitten market. (Sorry; I know day planners and media consumption tools are needed by manly men as well, but it's just fun to call them Kitten Computers. So I'm going to do that from now on, I think. Own your machismo! "Apple-droid" with Pride! But.., they're still cat toys).

And because MS can't scrape even an ounce of hipster style together from all of Redmond, their "RT" ploy failed. They threw millions to place their products on all the popular TV shows, putting them in the hands of popular actors even! Kids like actors, don't they? But to no avail! They did everything right and sensible, but it was like the guidance counselor trying to get down on your level with popular slang to tell you not to smoke. Ouch. Sorry, MS, you're just never going to be as slick as Steve Jobs was on a bad day.

Ah. Steve Jobs! Now THERE was a guy who knew how to appeal to the kids! He knew the great marketing secret: it's not about selling devices on their stated merits. No, no, silly goose! It's all about fitting in! It's about having the right haircut and popular jacket. Does the jacket keep you warm and dry? Warm and dry? Who the **** cares? It's a bonus if it does, but seriously...

"You're not going to school with THAT portable device, young lady! You will use the sensible tablet your Nanna bought you!" "But Mawwwwwm!"

Anyway, those are just random thoughts as I look back over the path we have come along.

As for bigger tablets? Sure. I'd welcome that, but don't have my hopes up. It'll probably use N-Trig anyway, so.., bleh.

What I expect *will* however happen, and soonish too, is that somebody will do a short run of big, actually *good* tablets, they will be sort of popular, the line will be dropped, and guys like me will eagerly pick them up off eBay a few years later and work out hacks to deal with the inevitable hardware issues. It'll be the Tecra M4 era all over again. And all will be good.

:)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  6. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

Sure, but what the point of tablet form factor if I can't use it as a tablet? Convertibles like Vaio flip (the best idea out there IMO) could still be used on a table or lap - just like the 14" tablet, but it also could be used as a conventional laptop.

By the way - there are a lot of rumors of Surface Book around en of the 2012. May be there is some foundation for it?

"If the claims are true, we'll be seeing 8.6-inch, 11.6-inch, and 14.6-inch models available sometime next year."

http://www.zdnet.com/rumor-microsof...-surface-tablets-for-2013-release-7000008347/

It looks half true from now. We had (cancelled) surface mini, bigger surface pro and now rumors of a bigger surface.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Well, you've got a good point there! :)

My only issue with it is that I tried out the Flips and thought they weren't very well constructed. I suppose you're right though, in some ways- if we could get a nice convertible tablet that was a better ratio and was big, that would be useable in many similar situations. For now, though, the issue is largely that the Surface line seems exceptionally well made and has a great aspect ratio. But I don't see why that couldn't change, and apply to another OEM.

8. Riyu

Riyu Pen Pal - Newbie

But what does it mean to use it as a tablet? IMO, tablets are about being light, slim, easy to take around, cool and quiet to run (fanless please), and you don't necessarily need a hardware keyboard. (I'm sure there are plenty of differing opinions on my criteria for tablets though!) Convertibles like the Flip are going to struggle more to fill this brief, because the keyboard is always stuck on adding weight even when you're not using it, and they usually run hotter because laptop type usage is prioritised more.

I am very happy to hear even rumours of larger tablet sizes, and would probably break and finally get a Surface in a 14.6" form factor even with a fan. (Even the Surface 3 was just that little bit too small for me, although it is still very tempting.) Would someone please give us an A4 size (or a slightly larger clipboard/folder size to accomodate menus/navigation areas) tablet with wacom level or better digitiser/software support? (N-trig's getting there, but still not quite yet. I hear good things about UC-logic's digitiser too, though it doesn't seem like it's ever been implemented in a tablet...) Please stop trying to kill the iPad, non-apple tablet manufacturers, and push on with killing plain old paper pads instead! (Sony, I'm not even looking at you, your "digital paper" is just a mean tease with its price, pdf limited abilities and selling strategy, and is still only 13.3". Samsung, please give the ATIV line even a little bit of the attention you're putting into the Notes...or hell, just stick windows on a similar form factor.) And while I'm at it, I might as well wish for A3 sized tablets for the designers...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  9. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

I spent a month with an Acer R7 (15" Eazel hinge) that I bought for my daughter, and I fell in love with it.
    For a 15" form factor, I believe the flip system is best, but you are right that it needs to be sturdy as to allow you to leave it in any position. This is something the Acer did beautifully, but the Sony Vaio flip did not accomplish.
    Unfortunately Acer dropped the R7 because the media did not like the idea of the track pad being moved behind the keyboard, and gave it a bad wrap. To be fair, when I first saw that, I dismissed the design, but after using it for a month I found out it was irrelevant.

When you can flip the screen forward at any angle, having the Keyboard in the front allows you to work in a mix of keyboard and touch that is much better than the keyboard + track pad. They could may be have used a smaller track pad at the front, like one of the Vaio Flip, or fit it beside the keyboard as not to scare people off.
    Acer has replaced the R7 by the R13 which is a smaller form factor and just not as good.

I am hoping to see a sturdy Hinge 15" form factor come to life from someone else :)

I also just looked at the new HP envy X2 15" Surface style, and it has some good points, like the slim keyboard that folds in two to take the same space as a regular keyboard, has a track pad to the right, as well as using Bluetooth to work detached .
    But the choice of a 16:9 format plus speaker on the side is very awkward and makes it far too wide and narrow. You need 15" for work real-estate, 16:9 there is not the optimal choice. I also found the track pad to not work well (although that may just be eraly drivers issue), and they should have been able to make it lighter.

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Or Microsoft could just significantly decrease the Bezel size on the Pro3, allowing for a larger 13/14 inch screen Pro4, allowing for a bigger screen, but at roughly the same footprint size.

2disbetter and dstrauss like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.