Microsoft Drops Courier Project Discussion

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Ed Hardy, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

Microsoft's project to create a dual-screen tablet computer has been officially canceled. The company gave no reasons for this but, according to a recent unconfirmed report, the project had run into problems with battery life and focus.

Read the full content of this Article: Microsoft Drops Courier Project

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Why does it not surprise me that a promising project likely from Microsoft Research gets squashed by the big bureaucracy driving the whole corporation?

At the very least, there's still many Tablet PC models with Wacom pens out there for me to choose from.

3. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hate to see this but I keep telling people that inking with good HR is VERY exspensive computationally. If you have a Windows Tablet PC just open up Task Manager and while inking in the TIP just take a look at the TapTip and InputPersonaliztion processes. On my 1.6GHz tm2 those suckers eat up a TON of resources. Up 30% CPU utilization on a 1.6Ghz C2D would crush an ARM, and the utilization is constanst.

Had a few debates with people who think that's just Windows and all you need is an optimized platform but really, these algorithms must take a LOT of horsepower and that optimized platform has got to be exspesive. If this were easy we'd see more of it.

And the other day I took a look at this: YouTube - WritePad For the iPad First Install

Goto to time index 1:10. Look at how HORRIFIC that is compared to a modern TPC. Yeah, I know, it small company can be optimized and all, yeah sure. When though.

All I'm trying to say is that stuff is hard and nobody on the planet has the capability to do it better than Microsoft and I bet they were having a hell of time getting this to work well, honestly, if this stuff was working well they'd never have shelved this because they could sell a ton of these things. I don't think that marketing is the issue. This thing would have sold itself.

Here's were the issues as I see it with Courier and Microsoft

1) Good HR on Windows 7 level on a low power lightweight device is VERY HARD. Period. Until I see it I'm not going to believe otherwise because otherwise we'd see it. None of these low power phone OS devices have it and the one that did have it would have an ENOURMOUS advantage.

2) Microsoft looks to be making a commitment to Windows Desktop to get it into more slate and tablet devices. Windows 7 has a LOT of touch and and even some major pen work in the form of the Math Input Panel. It's easier to do this stuff on x86 and since it's expensive leveraging Windows makes sense as that helps offest the development costs.

Micorosft does however need to bring this stuff to at least Windows and get more, cheaper and better Tablet PCs out there. Windows 8 needs to REALLY focus on this.

I know everyone is crazy about these lower power and lightweight devices. However the more I use my tm2 and the I realize just how powerful it is, the less these devices intrest me. I love having one OS power all of my stuff, its so SEEMLESS to go from slate, to laptop to desktop. That ability to me more than offsets the weight though it would be nice to battery life to improve by at least a factor of two.

4. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is very disappointing. I was planning on replacing my Asus tablet with a normal notebook and using the Courier for note taking.

5. pgh1969pa

pgh1969pa Scribbler - Standard Member

I posted the following in a discussion about the HP Slate because the discussion mention the Courier:

"No disrespect towards Microsoft but it doesn't surprise me in the least. Although I much rather prefer thier vision of a "tablet" or "slate" than the Apple's, they've had the market to virtually to themselves for five years and never seemed to get any real traction in the market. The tablet pc and umpc never took off with people because IMHO, they were too expensive, the software was ahead of the hardware, and poor marketing. The same could be said to some degree on how MS handled Windows Mobile too. They had smartbooks before the term existed.

I really would expect more of the same if MS actually released the courier."

I'd really like to say I'm surprised but I'm not. The Courier seemed like a cool device but it really seemed to some extend like a solution looking for a problem. Those who "got it" would only represent a small segment of the public and MS would fail to "manufacture the need" as Apple seems to be able to do. Maybe it's for the best. I don't see Microsoft giving this product the push it needs to be sucessful. Furthermore, Apple's closed ecosystem seems to create more profit for them with these types of devices than the less restrictive one used in MS/Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.