Microsoft Courier - Are You In?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Would you buy a Courier-like folding note taker?

1. TAKE MY MONEY!

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. 50/50 for me.

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Only if it is under $500.

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. Only if it runs full Windows (not just Windows S).

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  5. Only if it has ____________ (fill in blank in comments).

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Not interested.

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

It is a note taking app. The Android version got its latest update back in the Obama administration. The iOS version is more versatile since it is primarily used on the iPad. While the Android version is behind the upgrade curve it does fulfill all your basic note taking needs. While I would love some editing features available when using it on my Galaxy Note 10.1 I just pick up my iPad Pro and use that instead. And yes, I do realize that is a First World problem.

So in conclusion, you're not going to sit with a phone and edit notes, just as you don't do it on a tiny notebook you have in a shirt pocket. You just scratch over, or use the eraser if you're in no hurry or have a full S-pen, and write your correction.

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@jhoff80 and @Kumabjorn

Thanks for the insights - do you get Lasso Select and Insert Space? I use those constantly.

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lasso select yes. But you can't use the pen button for it. The button is only used by the system/OS.

Insert space not that I've seen.

Steve B and dstrauss like this.
  4. dstrauss

That's the way it started in iOS - Lasso then Insert Space (you can do a lot even with Lasso if you have to).

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

YVerloc likes this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

"...So rather than releasing it and watching it flop, Microsoft is said to be reworking the hardware and software to ensure that it can make a compelling case for why people should spend money on these things..."

...So Microsoft embarked on their Andromeda development without a compelling reason why it would be salable...??? Their development activity wasn't driven by the imperative to refine and optimize its intended functions and the associated business case...???

Comments like this make it appear the Microsoft has no sense of direction (which I don't think is the case...) and just generally reflects poorly on everyone involved...

bloodycape likes this.
  7. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Which is what Mary Jo Foley originally wrote in her breaking story on it last week, which was then mis-repeated by others like a game of "telephone". Windows Weekly is worth listening to this week. She goes through the events behind the story step-by-step.

Basically, it was a Terry Myerson project that's being reassessed (possibly cancelled eventually) as part of the Windows restructuring that included Myerson's departure. The pocketable folding thing with telephony is probably dead, though.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

9. dstrauss

If the new Surface Go takes off as a small tablet note taker, and Samsung really has a Galaxy X unfolding at Mobile World Congress, then Nadella will cancel it as truckloads are ready to ship to reviewers just like Surface Mini - at least Panos and his girls will have had a fun new toy for a year or two...

Kumabjorn and nnthemperor like this.
  10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's the thing that beats me. Why cancel it if you've already spent all that money on development and actual production. At worst, just release as a limited edition or qtty product. No matter how bad a thing or person is, there're always people who admire it.
    Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk