Microsoft Courier - Are You In?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Would you buy a Courier-like folding note taker?

1. TAKE MY MONEY!

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. 50/50 for me.

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Only if it is under $500.

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. Only if it runs full Windows (not just Windows S).

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Only if it has ____________ (fill in blank in comments).

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. Not interested.

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Wow - that iPhone part really hits home...as for where to slot this device, I think this is going to be more for the SB2 and Surface Laptop crowds - where you really don't have a pure tablet play, and it can become a digital moleskin for the user. Who knows, maybe in a few (three) years it can truly become the one and only device we need - acceptable for tablet work, ok phone, and plug into a real dock and voila 4k video and desktop power...

For right now, it may not be a good fit for you, especially if Microsoft can deliver on better connectivity between the iPhone and Windows laptop.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

dellaster likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Why should I be surprised? All of my expert friends around here have basically been telling me for more than a year to go Galaxy Note and either Galaxy Book or Surface/Surface Pro and I keep dreaming of the Westworld tri-fold instead...

4. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The concept appeals to my gadget lust, but I reluctantly agreed with Thurrott and Foley when they wondered who it served. Apparently Microsoft is now pondering the same thing. As the article says:

"The idea of using a single device for all your computing certainly has some appeal. But if a Surface Phone isn’t really powerful enough to run desktop apps as effectively as a cheap PC and doesn’t support the millions of mobile apps available for Android and iOS, it’s going to be a niche device as best."​

Nothing wrong with a niche device, but I kinda doubt that's what Microsoft wants. They'd just abandon the thing after a year or so.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Looks like Microsoft is having the same debate internally that we are...>>

...I find this whole thing depressing. Microsoft seems to constantly vacillate over their concept choices at the expense of time to market. I contend that if they had fielded Courier in the timeframe that they were working on it, it could have been a success (where success means the business case would have been NPV > Zero).

As things stand now, other OEMs are likely to field foldable devices that are going to cannibalize whatever market an Andromeda might have had...

6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh cmon! That type of thinking is what held back tablets since the dawn of computing. We should take a page from Apple, it's never about "who it serves", it's about how you sell it.

Folding devices are coming, if not Microsoft, then Samsung. Then when the concept starts burgeoning out from the niche, Apple will swoop in and take the credit. It's the law of tech, we've all gotten used to. ;)

7. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, the thing is, the Lenovo Yoga Book was so close to being a perfect folding device --- all it needed was to replace the tablet / keyboard area w/ a second display (which had a software setup allowing for keyboards and touchpad and so forth), use screens which curve and go to the edge (as the screen does on Samsung's Galaxy Note 8 along the edges) and allow the stylus to be used on both displays.

8. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Folding devices, yep. I'm very likely (99.999% sure) going to buy the Samsung Note variety in a couple years—if it's what the rumors suggest it's my ideal sub-PC device, my unicorn. And I think it'll be a HUGE hit, especially when the price drops to a reasonable level. But the quote I included in my post echoes why I think Microsoft can't succeed with one. That's why I put it there.

9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's actually quite a list of things they got wrong. :p

But I agree totally with your choices, give me edge-to-edge OLED with EMR on both halves. If they can bridge the fold gap (10.1"+10.1" minus bezels = 16.7" 8:9 screen!), then it's pretty much in take my money territory.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Another article about potential delays. Looks like Microsoft is going to "schedule and quality" themselves right out of the market...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-andromeda-delay-canceled,37394.html

(Courtesy of TomsHardware site)

And...
    https://www.neowin.net/news/what-is...osofts-surface-andromeda-not-coming-this-year
    https://www.neowin.net/news/new-use...top-and-gaming-modes-for-microsofts-andromeda

(Courtesy of NeoWin site)

This one has some interesting GIFs:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/2/1...cketable-andromeda-device-concepts-prototypes

(Courtesy of theVerge site)

dellaster likes this.