Microsoft Courier - Are You In?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Would you buy a Courier-like folding note taker?

1. TAKE MY MONEY!

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. 50/50 for me.

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Only if it is under $500.

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Only if it runs full Windows (not just Windows S).

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. Only if it has ____________ (fill in blank in comments).

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. Not interested.

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

PS - what we need is ubiquitous and transparent backup file synchronization to the Cloud so that all our primary work sitting on our laptop is backed up whenever possible to the Cloud; without having to think about it; initiate it; or wonder if EVERYTHING is being backed up - in essence Cloud based cloning...so we can re-image from anywhere at any time.

violajack likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That would be nice. I thought OneDrive would do it, but that's doesn't give a cloned OS. If you're willing to pay dearly for OneDrive storage you could have every single file on your PC backed up/synced though.

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The cloud. The cloud. The cloud.

Yeah... no. NO.

Convenience is great and all, (if it were actually convenient), but still...

No.

"Out There" is where finished media product goes.

My working files, my private musings, my.., everything?

Why don't we all just step into our regeneration creches and file our entire day's worth of brain activity with Big Brother and be done with it? After all, Resistance is Futile, I hear.

Windows 10 was practically wetting itself asking me if I wanted to upload my handwriting recognition training to its secure and ever-so-respectful-of-my-privacy servers. Puh-LEASE.

I've read the Big Book of Handwriting Analysis Personality Profiling as well, thank-you very much. Facebook already knows more about me than I do. Go ask them when I'm going to take my next bowel movement if you must. Or buy a copy of my dossier from them. (Oh, well now, that's the real issue, isn't it? My psyche profile is worth $$ and FB currently doesn't have all the marbles. There are still a few vital, juicy scraps clinging to my sorry bones.)

Jeezuz.

Go stick it in the goddamned Cloud.

And for what it's worth.., my external SSDs are faster and more reliable than any evaporative services on tap. I've lost more data due to web hosts screwing up than I ever have due to HD failure. Oh, definitely! It's like they have randomly scheduled purges or something.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The cloud...>>

... @thatcomicsguy : I was just about to respond to your posting, but the NSA just told me that you're going to be in the bathroom for the next 20 minutes...

5. dstrauss

And they told me at 10:13 CST that Steve was going to announce it here first...and that I would be announcing that at 11:50 CST

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

My OneNote Folder on my OneDrive is also available offline :D

djas likes this.
  7. dstrauss

Yes, if it backed up since last edits - but not those depositions - I know I may be a one-off but I don’t think so. To me, it is no different than Larry Ellison tell us back in the day that we could all live off thin clients to the back office big iron on the network - not so much.

WillAdams likes this.
  8. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

This exact thing happened to me yesterday - in a lawyer's office! (I was the client.) Is this an argument for devices with cellular connectivity too, since those signals are ubiquitous? Crazy expensive comparatively, but ubiquitous.

9. dstrauss

I don't think they (cellular) are ubiquitous, not even on AT&T which is extremely wide-spread here in Texas - signal strengths ebb and flow, sometimes no connection or very slow - not something to stake your business career on. And what if it's just a case of the Cloud service or the Internet being down?

10. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I’m convinced that the people at Google, Apple, Microsoft, etc., have a parochial attitude when it comes to Internet connectivity. They all live and work in bi-coastal metropolitan areas where cell service is ubiquitous and screaming fast. They can’t imagine a place like west Texas (where I’ve spent some time, so I know) or New Mexico where cell service is often very much up to chance, if you can get a signal at all, and it isn’t unusual to have “4G LTE” with intermittant speeds no better than DSL. :confused::rolleyes:

WillAdams and dstrauss like this.