Microsoft Courier - Are You In?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Would you buy a Courier-like folding note taker?

1. TAKE MY MONEY!

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 50/50 for me.

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Only if it is under $500.

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. Only if it runs full Windows (not just Windows S).

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  5. Only if it has ____________ (fill in blank in comments).

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Not interested.

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

So, we going to see a foldable device revealed at MS Build Conference on May 7th?

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...we going to see a foldable device revealed at MS Build Conference...>>

...My guess? Probably not.

IF Microsoft debuts such a product, I predict that we won't see it until the Fall...

Bronsky likes this.
  3. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

verloc’s law of innovation (tm) : new things only appear after they have already become boring.

dbrn, Tams, Kumabjorn and 3 others like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Which year?

Steve S and JoeS like this.
  5. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Apparently they have time and resources to go about considering buying EA, Valve, or PUBG though. o_O

6. dstrauss

Very few OEM's cater directly to the gaming community, yet MS is highly touting the gaming chops of the SB2 and with all the EA rumors swirling around, you have to wonder if they aren't about to abandon the business hardware market to their friends at HP, Dell, and Lenovo and strike out in a new direction with the Surface line.

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Microsoft's love of gaming is also to drive their enterprise ambitions - Xbox uses a form of Hyper-V Virtualization to separate the Gaming Platform from the Application/Media Platform. Also Azure is making a very big bet on Gaming Backend Services (we are building a VR DEMO for them currently that utilizes Azure Services).

Everything Microsoft does moving forward is about their Cloud Services (Office 365 and Azure). These are the new flagship products for Microsoft.

dbrn and Azzart like this.
  8. dstrauss

I get it - Cloud Services are much more profitable to all of the big players (MS, Apple, Amazon, Google, HP) but not so much for the customers. IF Cloud access were ubiquitous, 24/7, 0-1% downtime, then maybe it is the answer. For small to medium size businesses the cost of bandwidth to the big pipes is a significant cost, but worst yet, as I have experienced with OneNote in the Cloud, there are times in just won't sync, which never occurs with a local copy. I can see the big guys taking advantage of the economies of scale, but not so much for those with simple connectivity needs.

Sorry, old school here calling for his floppy drives, but the Cloud plus thin clients are just not where it's at for many of us out here in user land.

dbrn and dellaster like this.
  9. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Apple actually uses AWS in the frontend and Microsoft for their backend cloud services (iCloud uses Azure Storage and Networking).

We are around 150 people in our company and we run the entire org as cloud native.

10. dstrauss

Well, when you are in the middle of a hearing standing in front of a red faced angry judge explaining that you are trying to reconnect to the internet so you can access your deposition notes and argument outline, you'll understand that for some of us "Cloud computing" sucks...