Microsoft Courier - Are You In?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Would you buy a Courier-like folding note taker?

1. TAKE MY MONEY!

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. 50/50 for me.

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Only if it is under $500.

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. Only if it runs full Windows (not just Windows S).

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Only if it has ____________ (fill in blank in comments).

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. Not interested.

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I just had a great idea - dibs (and prior art) - what if I just glue two of those Edges together with a leather strip - instant folding tablet!

Tams and Bronsky like this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Could not agree more. Every time I see a new folding device I think, "useless without an EMR pen." My SPen is stuck in my Note 5's silo after a fall that dented the metal rim around the phone. I have been using an SPen from my old Asus Note 8 days. But, it is so damn inconvenient not having the pen at my finger tips when I have a note that I need to take down. And, typing that note is no real option, give how quickly I can handwrite the note. I'm probably going to try opening my Note 5 to see if I can fix the pen (what could go wrong?) before replacing it, but I do so miss my SPen. I could not imagine buying one of these new folding devices without a proper pen nestled in the device.

Tams and WillAdams like this.
  3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I find that I even frequently use the S-pen from my Note8 on my PC just because it's quickest (now if only they'd add an eraser or a second button for an eraser).

WillAdams likes this.
  4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, having spent a recent holiday w/o a stylus I can definitely see the appeal of having a compatible on in a smaller device. (I was very disappointed when the one from my Asus Vivotab Note 8 didn't work on my SGB12)

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The single button on my spare GN7 S-Pen lets me erase on the GB12

6. jhoff80

It acts as a right click / lasso select button on my device. But either way I meant more that I'd like it to have both functions not just for my PC but also for the phone.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

8. jhoff80

It'll be interesting to see if they include x86 emulation. To me, the phrasing of that article and the fact it's being called 'Windows Core' there seems to imply that it wouldn't be available, but who knows.

I say that not because I think anyone would want to run x86 in 'phone mode' (though I still personally maintain that Office 2013-2016 is far more optimized for a small screen than anyone has ever given Microsoft credit for), but for the docked / Continuum scenarios.

Either way it still sounds like a really interesting device that I will still have little to no interest in actually owning.

Marty likes this.
  9. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm losing confidence in MS again. Windows Mobile cancelled, no replacement for the Surface 3, WoA seems to have slipped as we were told devices by the end of '17, and still no USB-C dongle for the Surface Pro which I believe was promised by Q4 '17. How hard could it be to deliver a dongle?

I read where the next phone is going to be for the enterprise. Maybe the consumer market isn't where they want to be after all.

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Why would they? Consumers just hang on boards and complain all day long.;)

Tams, djas, dellaster and 2 others like this.