Microsoft Courier - Are You In?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Would you buy a Courier-like folding note taker?

1. TAKE MY MONEY!

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. 50/50 for me.

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Only if it is under $500.

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. Only if it runs full Windows (not just Windows S).

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Only if it has ____________ (fill in blank in comments).

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. Not interested.

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tom Warren over at The Verge has an interesting take on this...

I wanted to start a thread to discuss Courier-like only note taking devices. That's right folks, if it doesn't fold you are in the wrong thread. It can be two separate screens with no bezel on the inside edge (personally my preference because I think we will get a far better screen experience (at this time) than any thing that can fold in half. I'm not looking for another smartphone - I want a 21st century version of the moleskin that is always connected and keeping my laptop and phone updated in my notes all the time.

Here's what I see: Windows on Arm; Windows S only (no way to get battery life in such a small form factor with 32 bit Windows emulation - speak out if I'm wrong on that); 4gb/128gb max; siloed pen. The key to success - OneNote (Store version) has to be EQUAL to the desktop version - feature for feature - or this will suffer the fate of all other non-Windows tablets - fun to use for a few days and then extreme frustration sets in.

Enter the poll and join the conversation, because I think folding devices will be THE topic of 2018.

"I thought love was only true in fairy tales
    Meant for someone else but not for me
    Love was out to get me
    That's the way it seemed
    Disappointment haunted all of my dreams

Then I saw the screen, now I'm a believer
    Not a trace, of doubt in my mind
    I'm in love, and I'm a believer
    I couldn't leave it if I tried"

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

My "only if" is that there has to be a Windows S version of Chrome - it is my "glue" across all my devices.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Maybe I'm optimistic but I think we will see some kind of foldable devices being announced in Barcelona but they won't reach market in time for back to school sales.
    Not trying to be a wet blanket but getting a bit jaded from the last few years I suppose. I think it will look like a moleskin with a small screen on the front door time and notifications at a glance and when you open it up it will be a seamless screen covering two pages with a larger bezel for holding it on the left side and a vessel free right side. And you'll be able to rotate it for the same convenience for south paws. Hence, the front screen will be in the middle.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Enabling the "experimental features" in OneNote UWP gives me a much better inking experience than the Win32. It now has the Outlook Integration which was the only thing that was holding me back from using it fulltime previously.

I think this will be a winner and would be a great companion for my SB2 15 ;)

@dstrauss Edge is available on iOS and Android and will keep everything in sync :)

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

You said WILL be not would??? :rolleyes::D

dbrn, dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Wet blanket alert: I need a pocketable device that does all the things. That means Win10 is out for my main phone (lack of apps, thanks Nadella).

My other screen needs are a large lightweight tablet, and (or combined with) a large medium weight laptop. Another smallish screen device doesn't give me much extra.

That said, I'm sure I'll totally want it, and I pledge to work hard on rationalizing getting it. :)

Steve S, Kumabjorn and Bronsky like this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have been complaining about its non-existence for so long that I will be forced to order it on day 1 if I have any self-respect.:newpalm: To be honest, I really like my current combination of S Pen Phone and 10" dockable Surface 3. I'll probably be filling a need I don't yet have.

8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This will be a great device by the time it gets to a third generation. :p

alextrela182, Tams, Kumabjorn and 3 others like this.
  9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Eh... not really, last I tried (two days ago, so I think I'm up to date). It has Office 365 integration. If your company uses on-premises Exchange, you're SOL, just like a ton of these things Microsoft is doing lately (for example, the HK Invoke's version of Cortana can't do anything with that either).

What I really don't understand though is why it doesn't use the Windows 10 calendar APIs to pull data that is already on my device, rather than using an extra login to the server.

Anyway, to get more on subject, there was a time when Courier seemed like the most exciting technology thing in the world to me as its original concept - a standalone note-taking device. Today though, I need something fully functional, a do-it-all device. This new device would really have to blow me away to even consider it with all the limitations that would be imposed by the lack of developer support.

Also, two outwardly facing screens could be dangerous for durability... but unless they were going to have a mini LED touchsensitive screen like my Samsung LED case (which actually wouldn't be the worst idea in the world), I don't know what other options they would have.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Well obviously the solution is the Surface Z:

upload_2017-12-14_18-24-22.png

Tams, Marty, darkmagistric and 2 others like this.