Microsoft Complete NOT Working as advertised....

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 12, 2017.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

So I decided to call the Boca Town Centre store. They NOW claim my replacement device is in store. We were not updated. So if I didn't call, I wouldn't have known that it was available, and the inventory clerk wasn't aware they were waiting for a replacement device for a customer. SLOPPY.

The Microsoft Forum has a Google Form Collecting Information on the issue.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  2. DRTigerlilly

Is it wrong that I now have no faith in the Microsoft Surface as a brand or the SP4 as a model? I am really conflicted. My biggest worry right now, is that I take this replacement, and it's all fine and dandy for another year and then Complete ends and I end up in the same place again.

No, I don't expect a device to last forever, but a year is on the ridiculous side.

Shizaru likes this.
  3. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I feel your pain although my grievance is with Wacom following their handling of the manufacturing defect on the Companion 1. I made it well past a year all the way to a couple of weeks beyond the extended warranty. It failed me after years of treating the machine with kid gloves and thinking I had escaped the power/charge failure. To add insult to injury Wacom charge extortionate prices to repair out of warranty products! In hindsight I should have just used it like anything else and it would have failed within the warranty. A pro device costing £1700 should last and age gracefully imho. Long story short Wacom wont be getting my money again any time soon if ever. On top of that I share my story with other potential victims, so Wacom potentially lose more than just my custom and I no longer recommend Wacom when asked.

We shouldn't have to accept shoddy treatment or substandard equipment that we purchase in good faith. Being vocal about the issues we have experienced may not always seem effective, but every now and then it may help keep a company honest.

Personally I would never by a M$ computer due to the incestuous nature of a dominant OS company producing hardware, and the conflict of interest that brings with it. It's bad enough having them attempt to hijack your machine and personal data, after installing Windows on a third-party machine, among other concerns relating to market influence etc.

Hopefully your replacement machine will last long enough for you to get value from your purchase.

4. DRTigerlilly

Just to help people visualize what's been going on with the machine.

See following photos/ gif

The device will boot ok when cold, and within being on for a few hours start to produce the following results. There is no known fix. btw these photos are in focus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Holy ****! That is way worse than what I imagined. Did you end up getting your replacement? I did see your worries about the longevity of any replacement, that's a fair concern..

6. DRTigerlilly

Haven't picked it up yet....

Because they took so long the first time, I missed the first window to get it back to me, my dad is travelling back to get his SP3 replaced....mysteriously developed cracks, despite having the keyboard cover, a padded Incipio case and being in a padded laptop knapsack. (Forums have questioned if the mystery cracks could be caused by a swelling battery) His device was no longer under warranty, they've offered him the option of upgrading to a newer model with an additional charge. So holding off until then.

I am really conflicted, about taking SP4 replacement (other users have said problem recurred in replacement models) but the reality is there is nothing that I can do...I can't force their hand....

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

If the replacement comes brand new in a resale box, you could consider selling it and getting something that you're less worried about.

8. DRTigerlilly

Which is just passing the buck.

I'm drilling down through the thread on the Microsoft Community Forums and have found owners who had the devices replaced, and the issue re-occured. A few out of warranty, another had it replaced THREE TIMES.

Shizaru likes this.
  9. Bitech

Bitech Pen Pal - Newbie

Selling something is not considered "passing the buck". You are giving away the ownership and responsibilities of the device; that's the whole point of selling or giving something away.

Just get rid of it. There has been a lot of stories about defective Surface devices, which isn't surprising because Microsoft is still very new to PC hardware manufacturing (Surface has only been around since 2012).

Luckily for us Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo, Samsung, Toshiba, Asus, and all other OEMs are making their own "Surface clones" and they're usually cheaper (keyboard and stylus are often included with their devices) and they each have decades of a experience in making PCs. They may not have the best customer service, but their hardware is a lot more reliable than Microsoft's.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    JoeS likes this.
  10. DRTigerlilly

The issue had existed from as far back as December 2015 from what I am seeing on their own support forums and the problem is Microsoft is not being held accountable.

There are over 1000 owners that we know of who have experienced this problem... From the megathread. There are several other threads documenting the issue. Several users who Microsoft support have encouraged to wait on a fix, pushing them past the ends of their warranties OR giving them replacement devices which then go on to fail past the warranty date. Users who have had devices present with the issue just past warranty and then asked to pay for replacement devices.

Me selling on a potential problem to someone else, I am sorry feels like passing the buck. While the larger issue remains unsolved and ignored.

Clearly I am a masochist... Or something...

I agree with you there are other companies to go with, and now that I know that I will act accordingly. I will also do whatever is in my power to let others who would purchase know what they are up against.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Shizaru and Bronsky like this.