Microsoft Complete NOT Working as advertised....

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 12, 2017.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Get Microsoft Complete they said
    You're covered they said
    All you have to do is walk into a store and they can swap you out with a replacement
    Well 7 days later....they still have my Surface...I'm without a machine...and there is ZERO ETA on when I will receive a replacement device.

None in stock, they don't know when they will receive any new stock and are waiting for a replacement device...

:mad:

PREFACE:

My Surface Pro 4 (Core i5, 4GB/128GB purchased in August 2016) had recently (late July/August 2017) developed an issue with the display, that renders the device unusable after it has been running for a few hours. It will be fine, from a cold boot and then the problem will occur. It is not resolved by a restart, reinstall/reset and running Microsoft Support's diagnostic tool, does not remedy the problem.

The screen will start to flicker/shake/blur/jump...rendering text unreadable. I've also experienced darkening/lightening of the edges of the screen. I've noted that the back of the device feels warm to the touch when this occurs.

I've also documented in this thread some of what I have observed in my own device. I only wish I had been more fastidious in documenting this issue.

When the issue first occurred, the device was up to date with all the latest updates, drivers, firmware. Microsoft Chat Support recommended a replacement of the device.

I've subsequently found that this appears to be a moderately widespread issue with the model. With over 1000 other users on the Microsoft Community forums reporting to have experienced the same issue (in the most predominant thread 70 pages deep) If you search for jumping/flickering there seem to be several other threads seemingly referencing the same issue on the community forums from as far back as early 2016. Many users are either outside of their warranty period, or did not purchase Microsoft Complete. Some have had their devices replaced under warranty/Complete and the problem has re-occurred in the replacement devices.

Among the users affected, one has created somewhat of an intake form to make note of observations regarding this issue.

If you have experienced this issue, please consider contributing to both the thread and the form.

Thank You!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Huh, that’s bad. The times I’ve needed it they would even ship me the replacement before I returned mine. You might call and ask for a newer device that IS in stock, because this is not acceptable.

3. DRTigerlilly

We did they said my device is too old...purchased last September...

Should have gotten a Dell..:mad:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  4. JoeS

This doesn't sound right, do we have local MS people that can pull strings? @jnjroach maybe? In my case I recall once I needed to push pretty hard to get in touch with a different team (the 'CARE' team) after my case was 'escalated', whatever that means.

Either way, if you got an MS complete plan with device replacement option (I think that's standard for laptops and tablets), they are obligated to repair your device or send you a replacement within a reasonable period.

Unfortunately it seems that that period is 60 days. From my older MS Complete contract:

Which device is this if I may ask? Surface Pro 4?

5. DRTigerlilly

Yes it's a Surface Pro 4.

6. JoeS

That's outrageous that they wouldn't have a replacement for such a recent device. I assume you told them you need it for work and that it's urgent? Maybe others here have experience with the magic words that will make a new replacement appear.. Sorry about your predicament, that's super annoying.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

you talk to the store manager?

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Another tactic would be to call out the @surface on twitter and possibly @Panos_Panay as well...

JoeS likes this.
  9. DRTigerlilly

Have done both...

I have been unable to travel, and had a relative bring the device into Store on my behalf. I had instructed them to speak with the manager.

They said the device was too old

Initially, they took the device in to be "evaluated", despite the fact that I'd spoken to Online chat (several times), gone through troubleshooting, completely reset the device several times, and had been instructed to carry the device into store. I emailed them video of the errors I had been observing and was told they would contact me with further details.

They have not contacted me since. After having it for 3 days they told my relative that it would be replaced, and that we would be charged the $50 deductible. Yesterday (day 8) I called and "Chris" told me basically, they have no stock of my model, there will be no new ones of my model, and they're waiting on a "replacement device". He actually ended the call *purposefully not hearing me* while I was trying to ask more questions. Oh i'll call you when we have your replacement....*click* :mad:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  10. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

That sucks - so sorry...which store?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2017