Microsoft Announces Surface Pro Pricing

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Erik Latranyi, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

If you are storing large amounts of movies or music on your device and that is what is eating up space you may consider, instead, building a home server. If you have an old laptop or desktop lying around (and it could be old, crusty, barely limping along but who cares, as long as it turns on and can attach to the home network and pass files back and forth) you could put it into service with either external HDD (laptop) or a large internal HDD and use that to stream data to your device. You can even remote desktop in to it to access the stuff while you are away from home.

Something to think about.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

3. nanotube80

nanotube80 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think this is example of today's tech journalism being so spoiled by Apple's success that they are subconsciously trapped by the philosophy of "Apple decides what's the best for us. If something is wrong, we are holding it wrong. If something is missing, that's because we don't need it."

For other products with potentially new use-cases, these people yawn and complain profusely because they are no iPad. They have totally lost the ability to think about what the new product might do for its target audience.

Oh and by the way, wacom or not, apparently a digitizer and pen input is worth $0 according to them, because Apple hasn't told them so.

4. tissot

tissot Pen Pal - Newbie

The price was exactly what i was expecting. I did cross my mind that they would go for super aggressive pricing but that thing was already lost when the Surface RT pricing was announced. Don't mind the pricing.

What i do hate is the absolute silence and lack of info for Euro consumers and in general focking up the prices and releasing the device just in couple of countries, reminds me of Zune HD. Personally not fan of that at all when companies like Asus and Acer many times actually even release their hardware first here or at least at the same time globally. Not going for the hassle so i'm just picking up atom or some other core device before years end.

5. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm wondering whether the memory is soldered on the motherboard... 4G is too limited to me, I need at least 8G to run google chrome (30+ extensions + >30 tabs), Python, Mathematica and MATLAB simultaneously.

6. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow. That second article's point is that the surface pro is overpriced at $900 because a 16GB iPad costs $500. That's like saying the iPad is overpriced at $500 because a pocket calculator costs $10. I guess it's just a blog, not any kind of published material, but still...

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Microsoft has said the RAM isn't upgradable. That doesn't necessarily mean it's soldered on, because it could just be that there's no slot. However, I really find it hard to believe that it wouldn't be soldered.

8. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I remember seeing a rendering of the Surface's guts, layer-by-layer, and the article stressed how tightly packed each layer is. The RAM is probably soldered.

9. tissot

tissot Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

There is a version of the Acer 700 that has pen support. I think it's the 700p.